advertisement

Hadcock Unipivot

Another question while I'm waiting:

the supplied Hadcock protractor has null pints of 58 and 124mm (to the nearest mm) - these don't seem to correlate to any of the standard alignments; does anyone have a view on this?

Another question while I'm waiting:

the supplied Hadcock protractor has null pints of 58 and 124mm (to the nearest mm) - these don't seem to correlate to any of the standard alignments; does anyone have a view on this?

Talk about subliminally intentional...

*hic*

Well the first fly to drop in the pint I didn't have is that the collet is here but the plugs on the arm lead don't fit through, one does but once the cable is through the other doesn't - so that needs to be de-soldered first.

Edit: turns out there is just enough give in the collet to be able to force the cable (4mm) through the slot (2mm)

[plastic collet as opposed to aluminum for the Rega]

One thing which worked well (which is a NAS thing rather than a Hadcock thing) was to sharpen a piece of 1/4" dowel with a pencil sharpener then wrap some kitchen roll round the base and stick it in the spindle hole on the Spacedeck; made setting the spindle - pivot distance easier and cleaned out the old oil at the same time.

Once it's all together and in use the arm actually feels more purposeful than I had anticipated. The mistake I made was to get it set-up carefully and play a couple of sides then think - I'll just adjust this a little and see what difference it makes - I then spent the next half hour getting back to a working set-up.

VTA is probably something I'd want to leave well alone; easier to adjust than with the RB250 but more of an impact on VTF. I guess the main issue I had is where to actually get hold of the thing when you want to move the weights; I ended up with them such that there was very little stub to get my fingers on and as the stub is a loose screw fit into the arm it's all too easy to rotate the stub (and throw out the azimuth).

Haven't played enough to get a really good idea about what it's doing - and I've most likely already forgotten what the old arm sounded like, but the first think that struck me was how quiet it is; I don't think someone coming into the room would necessarily know they were listening to vinyl. In the evening I found myself listening at a generally lower level but seemingly hearing more music.

I do think It's a good match for the Space though; if NAS hadn't gone down the heavy engineering route with the Spacearms this could well have been what they arrived at: very simple in construction; why use two parts when you can get away with one; components only need be secured enough to do their job; impose very little onto the music and just get out of the way.

I like it.

advertisement

Back