advertisement

H&H power amp

Joddle

pfm Member
Many many years ago (early or mid 1970s) I bought an HH power amp. The amp was a bare chassis with two power amps fed from a common power supply. The amps were I was told used to power monitors in broadcasting ( I assumed the BBC but that was never actually stated) with one side of the amp used for bass and the other for treble ie one chassis for each monitor speaker.

What was odd on these amps is that the output stages were power Darlington's with HH numbers (I never found out what they really were) which ran amazingly cool - especially when you consider the output of the amps was rated at 60W each into 8 ohms and 100w each into 4 ohms. There were no real heat-sinks on the devices - only a "u" shaped chassis of stout gague aluminium onto which the output devices and other components were mounted.

The amps in my opinion were first class in terms of quality (but that was a very long time ago) but did have one terrible weakness - there was not real protection for the output devices which if presented with a very low impedance load or overdriven would simply run away and cook the circuit boards - this happened twice to me, one when I accidentally presented a 2 ohm load to the amps and on another occasion when a speaker lead came loose and shorted in one of the speaker plugs. Despite that it got repaired and carried on working for many years but eventually I sold it in the late 1980s.

I have always wondered about these amps and often scanned Ebay in the hope of finding an undamaged one for sale somewhere. Does anyone else have any experience of them or their history - which was probably pretty short? I did know of one company in the midlands which used them a lot, Midland Sound Services run by a guy called Ken Dibble but he stopped trading yonks ago - he also used a vast beast of a valve amp which was based on a rebuilt Vortexion 200w - but that's another story.

I remember Ken Dibble was about the only guy I ever heard of who independently tested pro loudspeakers in a scientific way [test equip, graphs etc]. Most were so far from their published spec that the suppliers usually got upset and the magazine quietly dropped the testing.

The only HH amp family I remember much is the Mosfet stuff with silvery knobs etc. Then the Harrison PA amps which were good.

H&H made a later series of bigger power amps, which were more rugged. From memory, these could produce 200W a channel or about 600W bridged - a pair running bridged into B&W 801s sounded wonderful. I worked for somebody who had about 4 of these for his PA rig.

I had a Harrison Chapman S100, I think that's what it was called anyway, back in 1973. LP12, Grace, Sure, Harrison Chapman, Studiocraft speakers. Ahhhhh.... bliss.....

http://www.soundservicesni.co.uk/home.htm

I have loads of the later ones (mainly mosfet) but no early amps.

The amps I had never had cases or contols. They were simply a U shaped chassis arranged a bit like a 10" cube open at the top and on two sides with the power transformer, rectifiers and huge smoothing caps bolted to the base and the output devices and drive circuits bolted to the sides. No sockets at all - all connections soldered to tags.

I used to have a HH bass amp in the 70s, and I've got a guitar amp combo in my kitchen (it's got noisy pots (potsinthekitchengeddit!), and is surprisingly good sounding.
I always viewed them as semi-pro band gear rather than hi-fi.

I had an S500D in the late 70's, a big powerful 250w/ch and good sounding amp that unfortunately could take out your speakers if a fault developed. The first M series amps used mosfets and had a soggy bass, the early 80's M900's were great amps, followed by the V series, again mosfets good sound.
I recall a hifi mag restoring a (S?)H100 jobby with unexpectedly good sonic results.

I always viewed them as semi-pro band gear rather than hi-fi.

Yes thats right - but these were supposed to be "hi fi" or rather "pro-fi" and I suspect a one off attempt by HH to get into that quality market. I remember testing one in a friends house with huge Goodmans speakers (12" bass units and a dome tweeter) and noticed a) how quiet they were - no hiss or hum and b) how clean the sound was - no distortion - clean bass and treble - and good balance. We were driving them from a Revox tape recorder and a Connoisseur turntable through a Leak pre-amp. My friend was at the time a BBC engineer and he was well impressed with the capabilities of the amp - at least until until I blew up one of the speakers by driving them too hard.

I also remember a bit about Ken Dibble writing reviews - something I had forgotton about until I read the post from Demotivated above - where is he now? He taught me so much back then.

In answer to that question I looked up his name on Google and find he has a resarch company still based in Rugby, the same town where her operated "Midland Sound Services" and later "Midland Sound Limited" - seems he really has gone up in the world - and very good luck to him.

Yes thats right - but these were supposed to be "hi fi" or rather "pro-fi" and I suspect a one off attempt by HH to get into that quality market. I remember testing one in a friends house with huge Goodmans speakers (12" bass units and a dome tweeter) and noticed a) how quiet they were - no hiss or hum and b) how clean the sound was - no distortion - clean bass and treble - and good balance. We were driving them from a Revox tape recorder and a Connoisseur turntable through a Leak pre-amp. My friend was at the time a BBC engineer and he was well impressed with the capabilities of the amp - at least until until I blew up one of the speakers by driving them too hard.

Ah, but the best bit was definitely that hand-wrought console it was all wrapped up in. Coulda stopped a Midland Red 571 wi' that ;)
Remember lugging it all up to the top of the deMonfort Hotel (with no lift)?
Happy days eh?

Ah, but the best bit was definitely that hand-wrought console it was all wrapped up in. Coulda stopped a Midland Red 571 wi' that ;)
Remember lugging it all up to the top of the deMonfort Hotel (with no lift)?
Happy days eh?

Oh yes happy days indeed Coundonroad - bending 12 guage alaminium sheet using gouge tools made from old files and reamers!!! Creating the first proper stereo disco in the area using true hi fi compenents - building huge speaker cabs to Goodmans designs -only a whole lot stronger - Loading it all into a Maxi and the carting it off to venues anywhere from Rugby, Bexhill, London, to Coventry and Aldermaston - and all powerd by that one HH amp- We all did pretty well when you think about it....

A mate has an S500, it's a bass amp used by a lot of bands in the past. It's very good sounding but a bit unrefined compared to his better stuff. It wasn't extremely expensive, I don't think he's using it so he might sell it if you fabcy it.

A mate has an S500, it's a bass amp used by a lot of bands in the past. It's very good sounding but a bit unrefined compared to his better stuff. It wasn't extremely expensive, I don't think he's using it so he might sell it if you fabcy it.

Manythanks for the offer but its not realy what I am looking for - Regards

You can lead a horse to water....

Well in this case the horse did not quite get to the water! - let alone drink! - the V800 is not the same amp as I am looking for. I am pretty sure it did not use MOSFETS like the V800. I have tried contacting Ken Dibble to see if his grey cells are any clearer than my own and if I get a response will post it here. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions though - all very much appreciated.

Well in this case the horse did not quite get to the water! - let alone drink! - the V800 is not the same amp as I am looking for. I am pretty sure it did not use MOSFETS like the V800. I have tried contacting Ken Dibble to see if his grey cells are any clearer than my own and if I get a response will post it here. Thanks to everyone for their suggestions though - all very much appreciated.

I posted a link with details of most if not all of the power amps from HH(the water!). The S500D was bipolar everything after used mosfets.

advertisement

Back