advertisement

Gyro SE flutter Woes, life after direct drive

allthingsanalog

pfm Member
Just purchased a Gyro Se, Nima Arm, Delos Cart with the basic PSU. This is after using a heavily modified Sl1210 for a good few years. It's all brand new.

It is setup very well, good bounce, well oiled bearing and belt on lower groove as in manual. I've also been letting it run over night to help run it in faster.

In my opinion it's better than the SL1210 in every way. However, I'm convinced I can hear flutter on piano notes especially. Will a HR PSU solve this or is this something I have to live with (or as the case may be, can't live with!)

Indeed a let down, I have had similar experiences and even though the majority of music sounds fine, it always niggled in the back of my mind. There's a certain piano/vocal track (Love by you, Joan Armatrading) that I played over and over again to ascertain this.Maybe clean out the bearing and relube? Might be a small contamination. Or a few more days of running-in.Check levelness as well again, I do this on the spindle by placing a Lys gyroscope on it and then place a bubble spirit level on its flat top surface.

With (this) disappointment might come the urge to rush out and get (costly) upgrades (been there, done that)...hope someone will chime in with user experience!

If the Gyro you just purchased is a used one make sure the motor pulley and the platter (where the belt sits) is super clean and remove all traces of rubber, dirt, grease etc. You may need to use a petroleum based cleaner to do this but check with Michell first to make sure you use the right stuff that won't damage anything. Get yourself a new belt(s) and then try it.

Phone Michell too, they're extremely helpful people.

It has to be said though, I doubt you'll get quite the solidity on piano as you got on the Technics Direct Drive. But it shouldn't be as bad as you're saying though either.

Hope you get it sorted. Lovely looking deck. Every now & then I get the crazy urge to sell my 301 and get one.

If brand new this probably won't help. When I got mine it was very wow and flutery, it had been used very little but the belt had been stood for a good while, a change of belt and correcting the voltage output from power supply sorted it.

Kind regards

Jim

It was brand new.

I have completely stripped the unit down, all the way to the chassis. I cleaned the bearing housing with isopropyl alcohol, allowed it to dry and re-oiled. I did notice the spider was not quite level in relation to the shelf which then in turn made the motor housing not level to the platter if that makes sense.

I also adjusted the height of the motor pulley so the belt was perfectly aligned with the lower groove on 33.

I'm sure it's sounding better, time will tell.

Never had that issue in 9 years of Gyro ownership. Piano is rock solid in tonality without any audible wow. Flutter on the other hand can be caused by the interaction of the decaying piano note echo in an under damped room with the direct sound causing audible break up or distortion of the note and that I have heard before, with a direct rive TT!

It sounds either like a room or more likely a TT level or voltage supply variation issue perhaps?

Hopefully you've got to the bottom of it, as this is not usually an issue with Michell models.

Most of my turntable collection is either idler or direct drive so I'm well acquainted with highly stable speed. However, I have a Gyro SE that I love to bits and have never once found it to be a poor relation in this respect when I listen to it.

Never had that issue in 9 years of Gyro ownership. Piano is rock solid in tonality without any audible wow. Flutter on the other hand can be caused by the interaction of the decaying piano note echo in an under damped room with the direct sound causing audible break up or distortion of the note and that I have heard before, with a direct rive TT!

It sounds either like a room or more likely a TT level or voltage supply variation issue perhaps?

If the noise was an artefact of the room I would be apparent whatever the source.
Keith.

I noticed the speed variance with Acoustic Solid TT I had, (17kg platter) some things just grate on us, and becomes our focus. Makes it difficult to move past.

If your still at a point of return, I'd suggest a Notts Analogue, otherwise sit back and enjoy the better qualities of the Gyro

The Problem is, once you hear, or think you hear a weakness/ issue with a component, it's very difficult to switch off from listening specifically for that issue all the time. And this could end up ruining what should be a pleasure. Is it not possible to return it to the dealer or get them to come over to yours to get another opinion on it?

If the noise was an artefact of the room I would be apparent whatever the source.
Keith.

True but it was suggestion as to other possible sources of flutter, and room flutter is one of them. The Gyro is a pretty decent and stable platter due to its inertia and a decent bearing so I'd be highly surprised to find it was anything to do with the deck design. It could be a problematic belt (or insufficient belt tension or slipping, hence Graham's suggestion is s good one even for a new belt) or a power supply issue. All speculation until the problem is discovered and I hope the OP finds the issue and is able to resolve it.

Chances are that if you can hear anything, it'll be subtle speed modulation caused by the number of poles in the motor. AC motors usually have many fewer than DC motors 12-16 vs twice as many in a DC motor. So the modulation frequency is half as high and likely more easily audible.

Or if could just be that your better new deck highlights off centres pressing due to different arm geometry!

" I did notice the spider was not quite level in relation to the shelf which then in turn made the motor housing not level to the platter if that makes sense. "

I think this is more than likely the source of your disappointment. Attention paid to correct Gyro setup should improve matters.

It's also on a wall shelf fixed to a solid brick wall so no issues with footfall. I've only had it for 5 days!

I'm wondering if the stock PSU just isn't up to the job!

Knowing the importance of the power supply for a turntable, I can't imagine the HR supply not being a noticeable improvement. Can you borrow one from your dealer?

http://www.musicdirect.com/p-7310-michell-hr-power-supply.aspx

Big Sonic Improvement
Although Michell turntables are some of the most tuneful analog rigs on the market, the HR Power Supply greatly enhances every aspect of their performance. Rhythm and timing become first-rate; the soundstage becomes rock-solid and stable; voices, instruments and the hall become more clearly defined and easily distinguishable.

advertisement

Back