advertisement

Guitar talk: acoustic, bass, classical, twelve string? You name it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
After that I really fancy making an esquire followed by a pine body 2 pick up black esquire a la 1950. There’s a guy called Preeb (Gil Yaron) who has built one. I’d love to hear a no truss rod guitar.

Did Gil do a build thread for the Esquire on TDPRI? I must've missed it.

I don't know how Gil did it, but the Fender pine guitars were built up from 3/4" pine shelf stock, the same wood they used for amp cabinets. Each body was four pieces, 1 1/2" thick.

That is a very useful resource! Interesting to see Frizell uses a Princeton.

A lot of his time at ECM, he used a Klein (most notably used by Henry Kaiser).

86e860596eccaf8b7ddd1716fd11acdf.jpg

Which is a guitar that says "Arty as f***" :)

Ive always loved listening to a lap steel guitar playing a blues. The slower the better.

So, I’ve been thinking I should do something about it and learn to play one.

A guitar playing mate who does a bit of buying selling of guitars has been looking for one for me and he has found it. I’m getting it shortly. Oh yes !!!!!

It’s an 8 string. its a “ Bennet “, if that means anything to anyone.

I know nothing about guitars at all, so will probably start by looking on You Tube for help.

Open to any advice out there, about getting started.

This is what I’m buying.

http://www.stones-music.co.uk/bennett-lap-steel-guitars

Me after 6 months !!!!

@Yank The link to Gil’s pine esquire is below :

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/1950-double-esquire-build.180456/

I have read the info regarding posting pictures and cannot understand any of it ! If somebody wants to give me a beginners guide then I’ll try to post. I do not have an account at any photo sharing sites and will not be opening one.

Alternatively. If you want to contact me by pm I’ll be happy to send photos and give my thoughts on the build process.

@Take5 Please keep us posted about the lapsteel. I have an old one that needs some work done and don’t know who to approach.

That’s an amazing build! I’m only 10 pages in but the guy’s skill and attention to detail is just stunning.

PS I never realised it was even possible to make an electric guitar without a truss-rod!

The very early Fenders did not have a truss rod. Leo didn’t believe it was necessary. Unfortunately for him, a lot of the early guitars had necks which warped due the lack of a truss rod. Evidence suggests that maple is good enough for the job if there are no sudden changes in the climate. Give a travelling musician a solid wood neck and it’s only a matter of time until it’s no longer straight.

Check out the blackguard book by Natcho Buneos. It’s a remarkable account of the 1950 to 1954 esquires / broadcasters / telecasters. Plenty of pictures and an analysis of manufacturing, materials and specifications. It’s so good that at least one company offers necks based on measurements in the book. Perfect for your diy project unless you happen to be Gil Yaron. Lol !

So I accidentally plugged a 12v power supply into my lovely 9v Benson pedal this morning. It made a truly horrible / boutique fuzz noise and generally didn't sound happy but it appears to have survived my kack handedness. A very distressing two mins of oh-FFS-ing though.

So I accidentally plugged a 12v power supply into my lovely 9v Benson pedal this morning. It made a truly horrible / boutique fuzz noise and generally didn't sound happy but it appears to have survived my kack handedness. A very distressing two mins of oh-FFS-ing though.

It's one of the reasons that I built a pedal board based around one of these..

https://buzzelectronics.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=18_69&product_id=134

Wire up all your pedals through the box and you never need to move or unplug them. Just select the ( many ) sequence(s) that you want your pedals to be in and just hit one button to engage whichever loop you programmed.

Cheaper than Gigrigs version , though I do accept that the Gigrig one is a nicer thing.

So easily done! A couple of months ago in a moment of simply staggering stupidity I plugged a wrong PSU into my rebuilt ZX Spectrum computer and I still don’t quite understand why I didn’t kill it. I realised fast so it was only connected for a couple of seconds, but even so it should have fried it (the Spectrum has a reversed polarity). I’d previously replaced the regulator with a modern switch-mode type and I have a feeling that saved the day (doing this usually fries all the RAM chips!).

My guitar stuff is all crazy simple, all Boss daisy-chained from one Boss PSU - it even powers the MicroCube amp! Mick and Dan would be absolutely horrified!

Josh’s videos never aren’t of interest! The quality on offer from him, TPS etc really is exceptional IMO. A regular weekly watch.

PS Last week’s TPS with XTC guitarist Dave Gregory was superb too if anyone missed it. Dan’s new GigRig ‘The Wetter’ pedal looks remarkably clever too.

Josh’s videos never aren’t of interest! The quality on offer from him, TPS etc really is exceptional IMO. A regular weekly watch.

PS Last week’s TPS with XTC guitarist Dave Gregory was superb too if anyone missed it. Dan’s new GigRig ‘The Wetter’ pedal looks remarkably clever too.

I enjoyed the story of Eddie Phillips' ES-335.

I read that end-to-end. Fine work. The only problem with it is that Gil makes it look such a dawdle.. :)

Sticking with Telecasters - I've been trawling sites looking at a variety of the things (just Fender ones) over the last while. Barring wanting a maple neck and single coil pickups I haven't been able to narrow the choice much to-date. Problem is even with those parameters, there seems to be a massive range of variations and pricing available - Squier/Made in Japan/Player/Classic/Pro/MIM/MIK/US Std/Professional elite. Pricing does give you some feel - but once you move up from the bottom end budget models, you very quickly seem to end up in a confusion of model ranges with huge overlaps in price.

Can anybody give me some pointers, or steer me towards somewhere that gives a decent layman's / non Fender-marketing-speak insight into how you might go about deciding between all of the models ?

I am far from an expert on Telecasters but I do know that amongst mid-price options people rave about the Baja Teles. Really nice picks ups and switching/electronics and a good mixture of traditional and modern is the impression I got from reading around. Lots of reviews and demos if you google.

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...is-the-fender-baja-tele-so-much-used.1915317/

Also 5-watt World has a short Tele history you might find interesting.

When I played, I couldn’t stand Fender neck profiles and above all, the dreaded maple fingerboard, lacquered as hard as glass.

The Baja would be on my shortlist for sure.

@Dec - I was that man once. One of the main reasons I want a tele is to get a similar neck to the Strat I have at the moment. Their 'modern C' profile works well for me. Took a - long- while, esp that glassy finish, but it grew on me to the point that I think Teles with a Rosewood fretboard are missing the point :)

The Baja would be on my shortlist for sure.

@Dec - I was that man once. One of the main reasons I want a tele is to get a similar neck to the Strat I have at the moment. Their 'modern C' profile works well for me. Took a - long- while, esp that glassy finish, but it grew on me to the point that I think Teles with a Rosewood fretboard are missing the point :)

Everyone, it seems, is raving about Gray guitars at the moment...

www.grayguitars.london

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back