advertisement

Guess the composer

Basil

Harbethian
Mp3

If it doesn't play, right click and save.

Please let me know if this works, I've had a few teething problems but I think it's ok now.

It is, isn't it?

I'm guessing Saint-Saens, Faure or Bizet?

No, no and no.

A quick question about the recording, it should play to 2' 05 but for some reason cuts off if you just click on the link.

Using right click and save it should be 984kb

Mmm,

Might be by a well known composer but...

Seems to be a mixture of styles this. Sticking my neck out I would say it's a pastiche composed very recently by someone fairly technically competent but there are some stylistic and harmonic inconsistencies. In addition to the composers named above, there's a bit of Brahms in there too.

Cheers,

Nic.

Perhaps if we had a few hints. Is it a famous composer, someone from the world of pop ? Nationality ? My guess would be American.

ET

If I was guessing, I'd suspect it was someone from around the turn of the century, or possibly more modern pastiche, but I'm hedging towards the first. Victorian parlour music. Sarasate or the like. I'm trying to think of cellists who composed that sort of music, but drawing a blank. Possibly Piatagorsky or someone like that. It reminds me of a piece I played on the fiddle many years ago by someone called Bohm.

Paul McCartney?

cliffpatte, please go and stand in the corner!

I've been waiting until the correct answer was given both here and over at the hi-fi corner,

It's Sibelius!

Five pieces for violin and piano op. 81 (1915-18)

No. 2, Rondino (Allegretto grazioso; 1917). This is one of Sibelius's most charming pieces for violin. It has the grace and charm of the Rococo style, and a new classicism – which is unforced, and which arises from the composer having over many years adopted and internalised the ideals of classicism.

Well done cheese, if only you hadn't cheated! I noticed you deleted your first post with the wrong answer.

Did you recognise the piece or was it a guess?

I deleted the first post because I wrote Fauré, by the time my post appeared you had already answered 'no' to alanbeeb's simultaneous guesses.

I didn't know this Sibelius piece at all, but to me the chords/arpeggios/whatever sounded remotely similar to the Karelia Suite I once got for free in a Classical review magazine.

Great thread, though I fear it's possible to cheat on the web, meanwhile you can whistle a melody into some site and it will tell you what it is. I'd well agree to post a question myself but does anyone know about a legal mp3 hosting place, kind of like ImageShack for pics ?

advertisement

Back