Votes: 3 50.0%
  • Vitus RI-101mk2

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vitus SIA-025mk2

Votes: 3 50.0%

• Total voters

ryder

pfm Member
Could current owners of the Gryphon Diablo 300 and Vitus RI-101mk2 or SIA-025mk2 please chime in. I believe both are reference level and it's a matter of preference which is "better". I'm interested to know if more people prefer the Gryphon, or the Vitus.

For current owners, it would be useful to know if you have compared both Gryphon and Vitus in your system before deciding on the better sounding amp.

Not what you are asking, but we had a Vitus power amplifier ( 100 line )on loan but went for the equivalent Audionet. More recently we demo'd a number of speakers, taking with us a Audionet Humboldt, the dealer had an enormous Gryphon amp ready for the dem, music was listened to and the amp replaced with our own. We wouldn't change.
In fairness we have never what a SIA 025 line amp could do.

One thing that would concern me is that I regularly see Vitus for sale. Obviously I do not know the reasons but as a 'final' amp, I would be more reticent because of it.

One thing that would concern me is that I regularly see Vitus for sale. Obviously I do not know the reasons but as a 'final' amp, I would be more reticent because of it.
That’s possibly people trading up, which would be a positive sign. Impossible to know of course but the Signature line, which all offer significantly higher Class A output, is where the Vitus magic starts to happen. I’ve heard the SIA-025 and 030 and both are wonderful, significantly better than the R-101, which is not to dismiss the Reference model, just that the performance levels are so different it’s possibly not fair to include them both in a decision process. If you can afford the Signature model, you’ll simply end up buying it. If you can’t, don’t listen to it! I’ve not heard the Gryphon in a direct comparison, or in as much detail So can’t really help answer your question more specifically.

I have owned Gryphon Atilla and have heard the Vitus range at a dealer. I liked the Gryphon, it sounded good whatever music you played. Nice build to. The Vitus did not grap me. It was to clinical. The Gryphon was a little soft sounding and missed a little spartel. At the same time I owned a Pass intg. 150. The Pass was the best, i still miss that one.

Could current owners of the Gryphon Diablo 300 and Vitus RI-101mk2 or SIA-025mk2 please chime in. I believe both are reference level and it's a matter of preference which is "better". I'm interested to know if more people prefer the Gryphon, or the Vitus.

For current owners, it would be useful to know if you have compared both Gryphon and Vitus in your system before deciding on the better sounding amp.
Are you thinking of replacing the Luxman?

I’m doing the rounds demoing all sorts of kit at present, among others recently the new Mcintosh, Moon and a Lux 509z. A while ago the Naim NC 200 and 300 stuff plus D’Agostino more than once. Aiming over next couple months to do some/all of - Gryphon 300/333, Esoteric F-01/F-02, if things line up a Vitus Class A too, probably SIA-25 Mk2. Hoping to get a home loan of the new Rega Pre/Power once released after a dealer demo if it floats our boats, fond memories of the Exon Mono’s many years ago into big Dynaudio and older Kef Ref.

Lux 509z is really very good, could possibly be persuaded to chop in my 590AXII. The Naim NC200 is a sweet spot out of all their new range but doesn’t fit our plans.

Also listened to ATC, active 40 and 50 and passive 19 driven by the 509z, could live with the 19’s very easily but not enough love to swap my office pairing of ProAc/REL out. The actives were OK, nothing special to my ears, good bottom end but a bit closed in soundstage wise, they didn’t do the disappearing thing. Fairly high spec frontends - couple Linn LP12s and a current top DSM.

see very very few vitus in classifieds . few more gryphon at dealers over past year as the 300 phased out and 330 comes in . been some incredible bargains with very recent 300 at around £8000 or less

see very very few vitus in classifieds . few more gryphon at dealers over past year as the 300 phased out and 330 comes in . been some incredible bargains with very recent 300 at around £8000 or less
Saw that one go at £8K, another on eBay for about £9K. Nintronics have a few Vitus on eBay at present. Don’t see much Esoteric advertised, especially the amps, maybe it‘s more a dealer trade up thing rather than selling private.

Are you thinking of replacing the Luxman?

I’m doing the rounds demoing all sorts of kit at present, among others recently the new Mcintosh, Moon and a Lux 509z. A while ago the Naim NC 200 and 300 stuff plus D’Agostino more than once. Aiming over next couple months to do some/all of - Gryphon 300/333, Esoteric F-01/F-02, if things line up a Vitus Class A too, probably SIA-25 Mk2. Hoping to get a home loan of the new Rega Pre/Power once released after a dealer demo if it floats our boats, fond memories of the Exon Mono’s many years ago into big Dynaudio and older Kef Ref.

Lux 509z is really very good, could possibly be persuaded to chop in my 590AXII. The Naim NC200 is a sweet spot out of all their new range but doesn’t fit our plans.

Also listened to ATC, active 40 and 50 and passive 19 driven by the 509z, could live with the 19’s very easily but not enough love to swap my office pairing of ProAc/REL out. The actives were OK, nothing special to my ears, good bottom end but a bit closed in soundstage wise, they didn’t do the disappearing thing. Fairly high spec frontends - couple Linn LP12s and a current top DSM.

It's a complicated situation for me. I actually don't want to replace anything but eventually one needs to go as I have no more space to accommodate another large amp in my room. Apart from the Luxman L-590AXII I have the Naim 282/250DR/HicapDR. I really like the Luxman and consider it as my endgame (but you know how it is with this never ending chase of perfection), but if I bring in another big reference integrated eventually one will need to go as I have too many surplus amps tied up at the moment, unused. Apart from the Luxman and Naim, I still have a Sonneteer Orton and two cheap integrated amps not worth mentioning.

Have you listened to the Luxman L-507Z? The L-509Z new is expensive but please tell me more how does it compare to the 590AXII. The Class A 590AXII is very sweet sounding, delicate, nuanced and detailed but lacks the visceral explosive punch and dynamics. However, I still love what the 590AXII is capable of but am curious if a one-that-does-it-all integrated exists. I still love the 590AXII though and will hang onto it. The Naim has better punch and dynamics but lacks the refinement and detail of the Luxman. 😅

A used Gryphon Diablo 300 is about my limit and anything above that is too much for me.

I haven’t heard the 507z, I’d only go with the 509z or C10/M10 if moving to another Luxman.

The difference in a word is Punch, the 509z seemed to have a lot more drive and a crisper sound with at least as wide/deep soundstage compared to the 590, brought back some of the things I lost when moving from Bel Canto monoblocks and does hark back to the 282/300 PRaT quite a bit.

The 509z loses out on the midrange sweet spot I find the 590 gives me, it works really well with the type of music I like - mainstream rock/pop with pretty much zero Jazz/Classical.

Tempted to home demo the 509z at the same time I give the new Rega Pre/Power a go, same dealer stocks both brands.

Considered chopping it all in for just the one uber system and single pair of speakers?

Considered chopping it all in for just the one uber system and single pair of speakers?

I've thought about it but unlikely. I'll keep at least 2 pairs of speakers and it's the same with amps. My main system is currently the Luxman driving Marten Duke 2 speakers. I can't set up another system due to the lack of space. The Naim 282/250DR are reserved for the Graham LS5/9. I have the ability to swap amps and speakers in the main system since both Luxman and Naim are on the same rack. It's just a bit troublesome if I decide to swap the components or speakers.

I actually wanted to add another pair of speakers to my collection earlier but ditched the idea after a reality check.

Edit : If I can find an amp that can do it all, combining the delicacy, subtlety and refinement of the Luxman with the dynamics, punch and drive of the Naim and perhaps add a bit more of everything to the mix, I'd be inclined to get rid of all my existing amps.

If I can find an amp that can do it all, combining the delicacy, subtlety and refinement of the Luxman with the dynamics, punch and drive of the Naim and perhaps add a bit more of everything to the mix, I'd be inclined to get rid of all my existing amps.
I found exactly this in a Norma IPA-140.
Had a Luxman L590 AXII for quite a while immediately before.
I was able to directly compare them and preferred the Norma in every way.
I also compared some other amps. One being a Gryphon Diablo 250, which stood out for all the wrong reasons. I'd actually bought it but it was a big disappointment, not what I was expecting at all.

I've also got Vitus in the house, but just a Pre/DAC as a front end in to active speakers. So not so relevant here.

I found exactly this in a Norma IPA-140.
Had a Luxman L590 AXII for quite a while immediately before.
I was able to directly compare them and preferred the Norma in every way.
I also compared some other amps. One being a Gryphon Diablo 250, which stood out for all the wrong reasons. I'd actually bought it but it was a big disappointment, not what I was expecting at all.

I've also got Vitus in the house, but just a Pre/DAC as a front end in to active speakers. So not so relevant here.
I found that also with a Gamut Di150LE. I clearly preferred it over a Passlabs INT60 and a Simaudio Moon 700i V2.
Unfortunately, Gamut no longer produce electronics AFAIK so it would only be available second hand.

I had a few Vitus integrated amps in and loaned them out to numerous Naim owners usually at mid level 282, 250 etc, not one of them ever made the change, yet they were lining up in droves apparently to change their 552, 500 for them.

I've thought about it but unlikely. I'll keep at least 2 pairs of speakers and it's the same with amps. My main system is currently the Luxman driving Marten Duke 2 speakers. I can't set up another system due to the lack of space. The Naim 282/250DR are reserved for the Graham LS5/9. I have the ability to swap amps and speakers in the main system since both Luxman and Naim are on the same rack. It's just a bit troublesome if I decide to swap the components or speakers.

I actually wanted to add another pair of speakers to my collection earlier but ditched the idea after a reality check.

Edit : If I can find an amp that can do it all, combining the delicacy, subtlety and refinement of the Luxman with the dynamics, punch and drive of the Naim and perhaps add a bit more of everything to the mix, I'd be inclined to get rid of all my existing amps.
Small annoying voice in my ear is telling me to keep the 590 and buy a mint 282/300 - swap back and forth as the mood takes me :)

Do not miss the big f-off multi box 500 rig I built up over years but do miss that 282/300 from the middle period.

Can't see me changing from Martin Logans though, just changed up from 11a to 13a.

Didn't they become Gryphon ?
No, they are completely different entities AFAIK. And completely different sound wise too. A very good friend of mine had a Gryphon Diablo 250 and it was quite disappointing especially considering the price.

A few years ago, Gamut was bought by Dantax group, the parent company of Raidho and Scansonic. Why they've stopped producing electronics is a mystery to me.

It's a lot of money so it's best to try to listen to them somehow, but I'll add my thoughts on the RI101 (which I owned for a short period of time a couple of years ago). As someone earlier has mentioned, I also found it a very clinical and somewhat uninvolving amp to listen to. I decided to move it on and p/exed it fairly quickly.

I’ve listened to a few of the super integrateds (it’s a bit tricky because the burmester was with different speakers). My thoughts are

1) mark Levinson 585 - huge soundstage, dynamic, good levels of resolution, bass was solid if a bit one dimensional

2) McIntosh 8000 - sounded a bit thick and syrupy but with prodigous bass.

3) Vitus ri101 - excellent resolution, great sense of liquidity. Excellent soundstaging and imaging and sounded just right (sad I didn’t buy one when I had the chance).

4) gryphon Diablo - same traits as the Levinson but more tuneful bass (a little dark sounding)

5) mbl c51 - very low noise floor, lots of power, sounds poised and refine. Good soundstaging and very well made (I own one and it was a bargain). In time I will probs trade up to a Vitus.

6) burmester (top of the line one can’t remember model name) - best in terms of sheer resolution and detail. Exquisite build quality. It was just a bit too polite.

I would love to listen to the following:

Audionet Humboldt
Vitus Sia 30
Pilium Leonidas

These seem to be the Uber super integrateds. The pilium would survive a nuclear winter

advertisement

Back