advertisement

GRRR - chord price drop

I used one in my system with a CCA, thought it was very good, sold it though, but might consider another at this price.

Where is the offer advertised?

New models on the way? Been an unusually high amount of 2nd hand Dave’s appear on the market over the past 2-3 weeks too…

One of John Darko's go to combinations in Berlin.
Do you need to turn the Mojo 2 on via the button to use it as an external dac? The Node defaults to standby and wakes up when it receives a signal...can the Mojo do this? (The reason I ask is because I'm wondering if it can be hidden from sight but still work as an external dac)

you will need to turn it on or leave it permanently on charge and on and let the battery management system run it in desktop mode

Hi all, I’ve just received an email from Chord saying that as production of certain parts used in the manufacture of some of there products is now back to pre covid availability and prices that they are now able to pass this on to us as purchasers. New pricing was noted as follows, how this is going to effect anyone thinking of trading in a Hugo TT2, you had best hope your average punter hasn’t seen the new pricing or your going to have to accept the losses

Mojo 2 reduced by £100.00
Poly reduced by £100.00
Qutest reduced by £200.00
Hugo TT 2 reduced by £1000.00
Hugo M Scaler reduced by £700.00

Good! I'd like to buy a Qutest for my bedroom system. Dunno if that's enough of a saving though as I only really use my bedroom system every now and again. Still, it's a step in the right direction.

Hi all, I’ve just received an email from Chord saying that as production of certain parts used in the manufacture of some of there products is now back to pre covid availability and prices that they are now able to pass this on to us as purchasers. New pricing was noted as follows, how this is going to effect anyone thinking of trading in a Hugo TT2, you had best hope your average punter hasn’t seen the new pricing or your going to have to accept the losses

Poly reduced by £100.00

Interesting, Mojo 2 reduced by £100.00 from £395?
Probably not, probably means permanent reduction to £395 (from original £495).

I've noticed that yesterday dealers in my country increased the price of Mojo 2 back to pre-summer (pre-original post) levels.

I seriously suspect a big "emperor's new clothes" moment is imminent across most of the "traditional" HiFi industry.

That would be a refreshing change, I am tired of the endless marketing twaddle and recycled old designs dressed up as new magic.

Yes. And I think that niche for the rich may increasingly be for those who don't like a DAC/filter to approach a perfect inverse of what the studio did with their audio filter/ADC. Those who prefer the components in their audio kit to do something else they favour.

That's why Ghod gave us tone controls... and a choice of speakers. :)

Actually it's worse than that- DX7 pro +? even an SMSL DO100 for £200 ish is virtually indistinguishable (in measurement terms-ears: forgeddaboutit).
Funny though how when it was quite difficult to produce really well measuring dacs Stereophile used to go on about how great they sounded (see eg benchmark, weiss reviews). It's almost as though the pleasure people get from listening to kit is in some way related to how great they think it is.

Must confess that music out of my ESLs doesn't sound "flat as a pancake" when coming froma Benchmark DAC. Nor when what is played is via a Benchmark analogue capture. Just listened to the capture I made of the Syd Lawrence test/demo 'Direct Cut' disc. Really great despite having gone via an LP... which sounded great when I last listened to it rather than the capture. I was initially going to also capture the 2nd LP that is inlcuded that went via tape onto LP. But never got around to it as enjoying the direct was far more enjoyable. Maybe I should do the 'via tape' one soon for comparison. Albeit now with an older V15 stylus.

I'm not a fan of Chord DACs based on listening to them.

I give absolutely zero credence to ASR, that forum has no interest in how something sounds and just parrots the mantra that "if it measures well it must sound good"

That forum is a result of when train spotters accidently buy a copy of What HiFi in WH Smiths.

When I was a rabid consumer of the Haymarket HiFi Press (Hifi Answers, What HiFi, HiFi Choice, Practical Hifi etc etc) that were heavy on the listening evaluaitons and light on the measuring ones, I bought an edition or two of Stereo Review, published in America. I was mortified to find out that they ONLY measured equipment and based all recommendations on that. If it measures the same it sounds the same, and if it measures better it sounds better...And yet Stereo Review had a much higher circulation than any of the BritFi rags. Yet Julian Hirsch was an accomplished writer and an excellent measurer. I suppose the word 'hi-fidelity' refers to how faithful any device is to any signal inputted into it (including sine and square waves) and anything that measures truly bad, cannot be 'hifi' no matter how good it sounds.

ASR in fact DID spend some time listening to the DAVE subjectively and found out it did not drive phones as well as much cheaper options, but sounded pretty much indistinguishable from those otherwise. So ASR is not purely an objective forum.

Poly reduced by £100.00
If those were the actual prices, Chord would be fairly competitive.

advertisement

Back