advertisement

Grey imports

Alex S

carbon based lifeform
To continue my cheapskate theme(s), I'll probably not be buying a grey D900 but what about a grey 55-200 VR for £135 instead of a black one for about £240? I know I'll get no support from Nikon, I guess what I'm asking is, how reliable are Nikon's plastic lenses and what do they normally cost to repair?

Hi Alex, I have never broken one, and I have bought in the UK and Hong Kong. Incidentally some of the Hong Kong shops supply "worldwide" warranties.

A friend of mine took an Nikkor 18-55 to the arctic and it literally fell apart in less than a month. The 18-200 VR he replaced it with survived intact. I had a look at it at the weekend and it looked more solid than the 18-55, despite them both being 'plastic'.

I'm not sure repairing plastic lenses is a viable option. When I had my Canon set up, the AF motor died in my 'cheap' plastic 80-200 lens, probably due to dust in the mechanism after taking it to Oulton Park. I was told it would be cheaper to buy a replacement rather than have it repaired.

My Nikon 18-200 VR seems much more solid and better sealed than my old Canon plastic lenses and has given me no problems in 2 years of use. It is significantly more expensive than the old Canon lens and the Nikon 55-200 VR lens though, so is possibly not directly comparable.

Alex,

Nikon UK may be different, but Nikon Canada will not touch a grey import even at the customer's expense.

Chances are you'll be fine, unless you go to the Arctic in which case caveat emptor applies.

Joe

advertisement

Back