advertisement

Grexit - will it happen or not?

British humour. Sigh.

What the Greek government should have done is get the Greek house in order, which they will have to do whether they stay in the euro or not. I can't see much that they have done on the domestic front.

A bit off topic but how did Cyprus cope with out flows of capital a few years ago?
Did they have the same sort of economic problems as Greece?

In summary deeply, deeply painful for the population but broadly successful in keep the banking sector afloat and averting the full scale meltdown of the economy that could have happened. For a number of reasons Argentina 2001 is a better example for Greece than Cyprus though.

https://economics.rabobank.com/publications/2013/august/the-argentine-crisis-20012002-/

Also note that capital controls don't really work if you have a lot of corruption and poor regulation.

German media are reporting that the Greeks took 2 billion euros out of their bank accounts Monday to Wednesday and another 1.2 billion yesterday. The Greek banks have requested another 3.5 billion euros in ELA funds, and are expected to get them to buy some time until Monday.

I expect at least 2 billion euros will be taken out of Greek banks today. Geez, what a mess.

British humour. Sigh.

Not just the Brits; lots of Northern europeans seem fond of Anschluss and Greek Island "jokes" at the moment. Although on a geopolitical front I would be much more worried about future deals between Greece and Russia and China so jokes about converting greek islands of Chinese or Russian aircraft carriers are more apposite.

What the Greek government should have done is get the Greek house in order, which they will have to do whether they stay in the euro or not. I can't see much that they have done on the domestic front.

Read my second link again. They have done an awful lot in terms of reform and the main problem is not the lack of reform but the difficulty of doing this in a decidedly non-optimal currency area without the cultural and political links that would make the required transfer payments possible.

https://medium.com/bull-market/the-...ain-francesco-giavazzi-on-greece-92988bc675eb

In summary deeply, deeply painful for the population but broadly successful in keep the banking sector afloat and averting the full scale meltdown of the economy that could have happened. For a number of reasons Argentina 2001 is a better example for Greece than Cyprus though.

https://economics.rabobank.com/publications/2013/august/the-argentine-crisis-20012002-/

Also note that capital controls don't really work if you have a lot of corruption and poor regulation.

Thanks, I remember the Argentinian troubles but not in such detail as that provided by your link.

I hadn't read your second link but have done so now.

The article dosn't negate the point I made earlier. The changes your link mentions have been effected not by the current government but by previous ones. The Tsipras government seems to have concentrated on outside relations without doing much of anything on the domestic front. I'm not talking about pension cuts or anything silly like that. I 'm talking about the real long-term stuff. The Greep people have to change a culture that seems deeply ingrained into the national psyche. As far as I can see, the problem that the 2,000 families who control 80% of Greek private wealth don't pay nearly as much tax as they would in other EZ countries has not been tackled. Corruption seems as rife as ever in Greece. The tax system is a mess (note, the German one is,too; tax systems seem to be formed more by lobbying than by rational thought in just about every country). And so on ...

British humour. Sigh.

It wasn't a joke. Integrate the country into Germany, and hence the greater EU state as that develops. Fundamental problems go away. Why would a Greek remove money from a Greek bank if that were actually also a German bank?

The essential problem with the Eurozone is that it remains a collection of nation states. And somewhere there are a bunch of dickheads who thought that didn't matter and put the cart before the horse.

Paul

It wasn't a joke. Integrate the country into Germany, and hence the greater EU state as that develops. Fundamental problems go away.

Well, we do have recent experience of integrating a country peacefully (the former GDR) and Greece is smaller than the GDR was (pop. ca. 11 million to 16.7 million), but you won't find many Germans (East or West) who would want to go through that process again anytime soon, not least because we paid through our noses for that integration and will continue to do so for decades.

Anyway, how about Britain rebuilding its empire by anschlussing Greece? Would certainly solve that pesky marbles problem.

Foreign private sector bank lending into Greece is low and a default manageable. The vast majority is Government or EU institutional. Much of it was used to finance imports from Germany, France and Italy and much of it will just have to be written-off.

Greece. The father of democracy. Failing, as democracies world wide sail headlong towards similar implosions.

What lesson does the world take from this?

Latest government elected on the promise of fixing things, alas those on the other side of the table do not agree with options offered by the Greek government.
A case of countries and institutions being nasty to Greece or Greek politicians promising more than they can deliver or indeed relying upon things that they have no or limited control over?
Whatever the reason the voters are in for a hard time.

Greece. The father of democracy. Failing, as democracies world wide sail headlong towards similar implosions.

What lesson does the world take from this?

That democracy only really works in a homogenous society with a broad concensus of the 'common good' ? And probably only on a relatively small scale ?

I think that's the point.

It seems from afar that a lot of Greece's problems stem from individuals bending or ignoring the rules in the interests of personal gain.

It also strikes me that those taking part in the democratic process do not give the needs of the many enough thought and it is for the want of such consideration in human nature that the very fabric of democracy is failing globally.

Well, we do have recent experience of integrating a country peacefully (the former GDR) and Greece is smaller than the GDR was (pop. ca. 11 million to 16.7 million), but you won't find many Germans (East or West) who would want to go through that process again anytime soon, not least because we paid through our noses for that integration and will continue to do so for decades.

But isn't this what the EU (and Euro) is about.... to bring everyone together and for everyone to share the same standards of living as each other with the richer nations paying/supporting the poorer ones to ultimately become a United States of Europe?

Anyway, how about Britain rebuilding its empire by anschlussing Greece? Would certainly solve that pesky marbles problem.

Nah......we gave up our ambitions years ago. On the other hand, I've read that some view the EU/Euro experiment as empire building via the backdoor rather than via conquest and conflict??

But isn't this what the EU (and Euro) is about.... to bring everyone together and for everyone to share the same standards of living as each other with the richer nations paying/supporting the poorer ones to ultimately become a United States of Europe?

More like a framework where everybody can work their way up to the same standard of living, I would hope, with a bit of help along the way via EU funding.

Nah......we gave up our ambitions years ago. On the other hand, I've read that some view the EU/Euro experiment as empire building via the backdoor rather than via conquest and conflict??
Some may view it that way, but it's definitely not Germany.[/quote]

The British viewpoint on this seems rather ill-defined. On one hand, Britain sometimes bemoans a lack of EU and Nato leadership from Germany, on the other hand Germany is accused of using the EU as a backdoor approach to domination. Can't have it both ways.

But isn't this what the EU (and Euro) is about.... to bring everyone together and for everyone to share the same standards of living as each other with the richer nations paying/supporting the poorer ones to ultimately become a United States of Europe.

Mississippi is not California.

The ECB’s governing council met Friday to consider the request. Regardless of the outcome, Greek banks may not be able to open on Monday according to governing council member Benoît Coeuré, whose opinion on the matter was ‘leaked’ by people close to the discussions. Yanis Varoufakis believes — and we have suggested this on a number of occasions over the past several months — that the troika is effectively colluding to incite a bank run in an effort to force Syriza into the types of concessions which will strip the party of its mandate and transform Tsipras into a pandering technocrat reminiscent of his predecessors. "Regrettably, no discussion of our proposal took place within the Eurogroup. Even more regrettably, instead of that essential discussion, we observed pernicious ‘leaks’ to the press regarding Greece’s banking system," the FinMin told Bloomberg.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2015-...oufakis-slams-pernicious-banking-sector-leaks

Then you have to break up the EU.

That would, by definition, mean Grexit.

Perhaps if you took Scotland?

Paul

Scotland for Greece sounds like a fair swap although how many German holiday goers take to the Hebrides remains to be seen.

Just doubled the euros I'm taking seeing the banks may shut on Monday for the duration!

advertisement

Back