advertisement

Greatest Living English / Scottish / Welsh / Irish etc Person

Tony Blackburn - Controversial I know but nobody can deny he has at long last evolved to National Treasure status.

English - Jeremy Clarkson
Scottish - Rab C Nesbitt
Welsh - Rob Brydon
Irish - Pierce Brosnan

Wales - Gareth Edwards (p.s. not Gareth Edward, nor Gareth Edward’s)
Republic of Ireland - Naill Quinn
England - Bob Mortimer

So, apart from Mrs Big Tabs, all white men? I don't think fishies are especially racist and sexist, it's a reflection of where the power, influence and media exposure are in our society.

David Attenborough. Before he turned into a leftie wokist moaning about climate change obv.
What's wrong with being woke? He gives a toss about climate change and the decline of animal species. And why is caring about climate change leftist? Politics shouldn't even come into that.
David Attenborough is definitely the greatest living Englishman by a long way.

What's wrong with being woke? He gives a toss about climate change and the decline of animal species. And why is caring about climate change leftist? Politics shouldn't even come into that.
Was joke.

Paul is making a joke with the target being the right wing press etc who like to portray anyone who cares about the environment etc as "woke", this being used as a pejorative term.

I'd like to propose a controversial choice for greatest living Irishman - Gerry Adams.

Now why would a Northern Prod make such a controversial choice? Because, without Adams, there'd be no peace in Northern Ireland. Although, despite his consistent disavowals, he was undoubtedly a member of the IRA and almost certainly on the Army Council, he perceived quite early that the romantic Republican attachment to the gun and the bomb as a means of getting rid of the British wasn't going to work, so, in a series of columns entitled "Brownie" in the Republican newspaper An Phoblacht he started to set out a new vision of winning - the bullet and the ballot, as he put it. To do this, he had somehow to drag a famously fractious Republican movement with him. British negotiators from the earliest days found him bright and knowledgeable.

He was not solely responsible for the Good Friday Agreement - one must recognise the sadly late John Hume, who would otherwise be my choice - but his vision and his ability to deliver the Republicans played a major role. As a result, no matter how the Northern Irish parties may squabble, nobody apart from the few nutcases on both sides wants to go back to The Bad Old Days.

Last edited:
I'd like to propose a controversial choice for greatest living Irishman - Gerry Adams.

Now why would a Northern Prod make such a controversial choice? Because, without Adams, there'd be no peace in Northern Ireland. Although, despite his consistent disavowals, he was undoubtedly a member of the IRA and almost certainly on the Army Council, he perceived quite early that the romantic Republican attachment to the gun and the bomb as a means of getting rid of the British wasn't going to work, so, in a series of columns entitled "Brownie" in the Repuplican newspaper An Phoblacht he started to set out a new vision of winning - the bullet and the ballot, as he put it. To do this, he had somehow to drag a famously fractious Republican movement with him. British negotiators from the earliest days found him bright and knowledgeable.

He was not solely responsible for the Good Friday Agreement - one must recognise the sadly late John Hume, who would otherwise be my choice - but his vision and his ability to deliver the Republicans played a major role. As a result, no matter how the Northern Irish parties may squabble, nobody apart from the few nutcases on both sides wants to go back to The Bad Old Days.
I was initially gobsmacked by your choice because my view of him was that gained from many years of mainland news presentation. But your second para was a new perspective on him, and cause for reconsideration.
But like you, I would rate John Hume higher, ever since seeing him on tv being assaulted by a police chief when leading a non violent march in the 60s. An impressive man.

Take two:

chose any one of the Kinnocks, Alex Salmond, ow what's occurrings fella (not Smithie) and wales get a second go in lieu of NI, Liz Truss

I was initially gobsmacked by your choice because my view of him was that gained from many years of mainland news presentation. But your second para was a new perspective on him, and cause for reconsideration.
But like you, I would rate John Hume higher, ever since seeing him on tv being assaulted by a police chief when leading a non violent march in the 60s. An impressive man.
As I see it, the big problem with both Unionists and mainlanders is that they don't ask the fundamental question - why was there an IRA? (Ditto the Israelis, who don't ask why there is a Hamas). Terrorist movements are often the reaction to major injustices - it's the weapon of the weak against the strong. And a terrorist/resistance movement doesn't have to win, only to survive, and wear down the opposition. It is to Adams's credit that he realised that the way forward was through politics and that violence alone simply wasn't going to get anywhere. He encouraged people to get involved in politics as a means of change. To do this, he had to manage a precarious balancing act, especially with the traditional Republicans who had the romantic illusion of shooting and bombing their way to reunification, like their predecessors, the "bold Fenian men" of 1916-1921. Being Republican royalty helped - his father had been interned by the British during the Second World War, when the Abwehr was trying to get the IRA to sabotage British installations.

Last edited:

advertisement

Back