advertisement

Greatest Living English / Scottish / Welsh / Irish etc Person

Stemcor

I should be listening to music
Had a semi-surreal experience in Warrington M&S last week. I saw an elderly gentleman pushing a trolley and did a double-take. Surely not but it was.

My FIL described Billy Boston as the greatest rugby league player he had ever seen (and he saw a few). We had a brief chat and he was an absolute gentleman. He had two women with him; I’m guessing they were family members. I apologised to them for taking Billy’s time and they said it happens all the time.

So it’s got me thinking. Let’s widen this a bit and ask the question. Who is the greatest living (inset name of country here) ?

Opps. Sorry.

PS, can anyone considered to be great while still alive? Do we not need to look at a lifetime achievement?

Or if we are looking at living greats, does that mean we are limited to sports people whose playing career is over, as the OP suggests?

On reflection, there is the argument that a person’s worth may not be fully appreciated until they have passed away. As I asked for greatest living, how about thinking in terms of “National treasure”.

Mick Lynch has to be on the long list. I want a list of contenders which doesn’t contain anybody from the establishment. Which, regretfully, excludes Attenborough. Not that he’s sold out, more that he perpetuates the idea that the educated middle glasses are the only ones permitted to voice their opinions.

Scotland - Billy Connolly
Wales - Gareth Edward's
Can't think of an English one. Maybe Hugh Grant.

I scrolled down the page eagerly to see how many times my name had been mentioned so far… I admit my pride was rather hurt by the unexpected lack of recognition, but after another glass of Ventoux I’m over it and have decided that Big Tabs’ wife gets my vote too.

Last edited:
I can only comment on Scotland

Living : Billy Connolly

Deceased : James Clerk Maxwell for science, Robert the Bruce for nationhood, Robert Burns for prose, John Muir for environmental science, Alexander Fleming for medicine

advertisement

Back