advertisement

Great Praise for Avondale - Delighted with TPR4 hicap

nap90

pfm Member
Hello All,

I thought I must write to say how thoroughly satisfied I am with the TPR4 regulators I ordered - what a lovely upgrade for my olive hicaps. Well done Les and team - the sound Is fantastically better than the standard 317 regs

I have a cds2/xps, DUal teddy cap, nac82 & 135s on kudos super 20. The first hicap powers the headline in this system. The second is in my hobby room system: Laptop/dragonfly DAC, Ryan Sound Lab Nac72, hicap, Nap180 into mk1 SBLs.

Now I am thinking from the changes to the second system, that I must try a tpr4 hicap instead of the dual teddy in the main system. bass is nothing short of amazing with the TPR4. An idea I have is to buy an olive supercap and put TPR4s on the 4 rails that the 82 uses

Regards
Matt

Welcome to the TPR4 appreciation society. I have two, soon to be more.

One of mine is in the hicap powering the anologue stage of my CD3.5. In the 3.5 i pulled out the two lm317 regs on the anologue stage and installed two ALWSR. The tpr4 even managed to "see" through these excellent regs and made quite a pronounced uplift to the quality of sound. The level of improvement was quite a shock to me.

My other tpr4 is on duty with a pair of early 821A boards. A magical combination although i really ought to get the tpr4 right next to the 821A's.

Stu

I too have rsl72, tpr hicap and 180. Completely satisfied with it, it is undoubtedly leagues above what it was when original. Plays every sort of music with such enjoyment factor.

Can the TPR4 be configured for +18/-18v working...Maybe to power my B4?

TPR4 is single supply regulator. You could buy two, and hack one about for -ve supply operation.

B4 has intrinsic built in tracking supply (that is the bootstrapped bit of the name) so there is no reason to expect any benefit from fancy supplies, and experience of people who have done experiments is that even a very simple supply is as good as gets.

Can the TPR4 be configured for +18/-18v working...Maybe to power my B4?

You can, very simply. The caveat is that you will need either two quite separate transformers OR a transformer with two independent secondaries.

The idea is that you treat the outputs from the TPR4s as though they were batteries in a multi-cell flashlight. The connections are: +V...0V....+V....0V

The join between the supplies becomes the 0V - zero volt point.

Only ONE TPR4 is needed to make a symmetrical supply.

Hope that's made it clear although I've spent ages on the phone sometimes trying to explain this principle.

I have some graphics for those still confused. Let me have an email and I'll send a copy - les(at)avondaleaudio.com

advertisement

Back