advertisement

Great/Favourite LP Compilation Albums

gavreid

Pretty Words...
Compilation/Greatest Hits/Singles LPs then. No CDs etc that's trivial. Piecing together a good compilation from different analogue master tapes must have been a labour of love when done properly.

I think the famous greatest hits are known for a reason Al Green, CCR, Abba (??), Rolling Stones, Bob Marley etc. A few of my favourites (not certain that they're all AAA but they're in the right spirit)

ODU0MC5qcGVn.jpeg

LTk3NzMuanBlZw.jpeg

Mi0xNDMyLmpwZWc.jpeg

NTQtMjE5NC5qcGVn.jpeg

Samplers were great value, I have "Nice Enough to Eat" , " A breath of fresh air" and "Bumpers" along with some from Windham Hill

I’ve never been a fan of compilation albums at all, but the few that really made an impression with me were:

The budget Cherry Red compilation Pillows & Prayers which introduced me to The Passage, Tracey Thorn, Eyeless In Gaza etc. I don’t have a copy as I bought everything of interest.

A Sample Of Blue Notes, the 1987 Blue Note 50th Anniversary sampler which cost £1.99 and sent me right out on the jazz trajectory I remain on today. Again I no longer have it as it served its purpose the the extent I think I have every album it compiled.

We Out Here, the Brownswood label compilation of the recent London jazz scene. I have got a copy of this, though being honest I don’t really need it as I have explored further.

Archives GRM. A 5xCD compilation of GRM music concrete, early electronic music etc. This is where compilations make sense to me as this stuff would be impossible to find otherwise!

My main issue with compilations is mastering, they always try to pack too much onto a side and inevitably the most dynamic and well recorded tracks have to be smashed down to the level of the worst so the thing plays as a coherent whole. I’ve even appeared on a couple so I’ve seen this first hand!

PS To my mind YouTube and other streaming options have made compilation albums all but irrelevant now. They used to exist as a discovery tool, we now have far better ways of trying before buying.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I’ve never been a fan of compilation albums at all, but the few that really made an impression with me were:

The budget Cherry Red compilation Pillows & Prayers which introduced me to The Passage, Tracey Thorn, Eyeless In Gaza etc. I don’t have a copy as I bought everything of interest.

A Sample Of Blue Notes, the 1987 Blue Note 50th Anniversary sampler which cost £1.99 and sent me right out on the jazz trajectory I remain on today. Again I no longer have it as it served its purpose the the extent I think I have every album it compiled.

We Out Here, the Brownswood label compilation of the recent London jazz scene. I have got a copy of this, though being honest I don’t really need it as I have explored further.

Archives GRM. A 5xCD compilation of GRM music concrete, early electronic music etc. This is where compilations make sense to me as this stuff would be impossible to find otherwise!

My main issue with compilations is mastering, they always try to pack too much onto a side and inevitably the most dynamic and well recorded tracks have to be smashed down to the level of the worst so the thing plays as a coherent whole. I’ve even appeared on a couple so I’ve seen this first hand!

PS To my mind YouTube and other streaming options have made compilation albums all but irrelevant now. They used to exist as a discovery tool, we now have far better ways of trying before buying.
The sound quality aspect had not occurred to me. For me the driver was I couldn’t afford the individual albums - the compilation was a financial shortcut.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

We Out Here, the Brownswood label compilation of the recent London jazz scene.

+ 1 for the sentiment and We Out Here.

I did quite like old soul compilations, although these were often on cassette tape for car journeys

I still dig this out on CD
OIP.yUsoUDnJFKWaZBeRZlBdYwHaHa

One of my favourites / most played on vinyl :

OIP.lDvVYDNOGYajo3lAWwBFZwHaHK

Sure but they exist and some of them (a small number) deserve great respect.

I’m old enough to have Fill Your Head With Rock in my record rack.

The 60s/70s sampler albums were great fun
5AZaEVF.jpeg

I was introduced to so much music through the early 70s samplers. I was 11-12 when these came out and, as they were all super cheap, I could get them with pocket money. I still have these 3 :

OIP.uwrPhUKJAoVBk4z5X6ULcQHaHR

OIP.k1U_KohDeqdEvOAuzLpwiAHaHa

OIP.LCaeT_LV1EWToSXorAdlPgHaHa

I'm forever grateful that I was introduced to Quintessence at such a formative age:eek:

I was introduced to so much music through the early 70s samplers. I was 11-12 when these came out and, as they were all super cheap, I could get them with pocket money. I still have these 3 :

OIP.uwrPhUKJAoVBk4z5X6ULcQHaHR

OIP.k1U_KohDeqdEvOAuzLpwiAHaHa

OIP.LCaeT_LV1EWToSXorAdlPgHaHa

I'm forever grateful that I was introduced to Quintessence at such a formative age:eek:
Journey of discovery for me with those and other Samplers, especially Bumpers... Buy it, play it, get into it, go back to shop and search for the LP by the Artist/ band you like.
So IF, Spooky tooth, Blodwyn Pig etc etc .All bands at that time I never knew about let alone heard...
Other thing to note some tracks on sampler LPs different as in Spooky tooth Bumpers version of I am the walrus; different from the Last Puff LP.

That looks very interesting. I've not really explored GRM much despite seeing Beatriz Ferreyra perform live a while back.

Editions Mego have/had a nice series of GRM reissues on vinyl: https://www.discogs.com/label/399382-Recollection-GRM

(I don't know what's happening with Mego now Peter Rehberg has passed away)

I don't tend to go for compilations, but they have been gateways to explore more stuff,I still enjoy all of my Trojan Tighten up series though, and in pre internet days you would never have found so many rare releases' also like This Is Sue on Island records

Having a quick scan of the racks, this one stands out as a compilation that seemed more than a collection of tracks and had a real integrity as a record - vinyl version not expanded CD reissue

OIP.LAAo09bdM-LCJDThSZB7TwHaHa

advertisement

Back