advertisement

Great album....except that one song

I disagree with loads of these. I love The Overload - I think of it as a close relative to Drugs on Fear Of Music - doing a similar job closing the album on a rather ominous note. A bit like A Day In the Life. I like to listen to Revolution 9 and think Within You Without You is one of the highlights of Sgt. P. And Seamus probably has one of my top 10 dog solos.

I haven’t much to add to what I said the last time this question was asked exactly a year ago. I don’t like Money. The track, that is. Donations are gratefully received.

https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/thr...-really-naff-track.269347/page-2#post-4721348

Another one - I think Metal Machine Music pt4 is a bit of an anti-climax after pts 1-3.

I assume it is just tacked on the end as a bonus track? I’ve got the vinyl of Ideal Copy and 12” of Snakedrill, so very distinct things. I’d not blame them for that at all. Bonus tracks on CDs are not part of the album IMO. FWIW I think the Snakedrill 12” is really good, though the full Drill album (I’ve got it on CD) gets boring pretty soon.
The CD adds the whole of Snake drill, plus some live tracks. I never had the vinyl version, so Drill has always been part of The Ideal Copy in my mind.

I'm pretty sure we've discussed this previously.

The worst example in the history of recorded music continues to be Miles Davis - Sorcerer.

Forty minutes of one of the greatest jazz quartets ever, at the peak of their powers, playing Wayne Shorter's magical transcendent mind-altering compositions, immediately followed by a jaunty two minute vocal track recorded by a different group five years earlier.

Stairway to Heaven on Zep IV. ...Is this the most overplayed song in history? I mean it's a fine song, but I just don't ever need to hear it again, but Zep IV is still one of the alltime greats overall that I listen to from time to time but I get up to flip the disc at the end of A3, The Battle Of Evermore.

I always skip that one. And the Harrison Indian stuff on Sgt Pepper, too. ;)
Really, really listen to 'within, without you'. It's amazing.

For me, it's Love Hungry Man from AC/DC's Highway to Hell. An album where every single strum and drumbeat is exactly where it should be to perfectly wind up and uncoil tension, until this unwieldy unfunky clunker hoves into view.

I would add ‘Rehab’ on Amy Winehouse’s ‘Back to Black’. Luckily it’s the first track, so can be skipped and the remainder enjoyed uninterrupted.

Kevin

The Human League - Dare - Don't You Want Me... from the first time I ever listened to it I felt this was just incongruous and didn't fit with the rest of the album. Its huge success has done nothing to dispel that feeling.

Last edited:
The Human League - Dare - Don't You Want Me... from the first time I ever listened to it I felt this was just incongruous and didn't fit with the rest of the album. It's huge success has done nothing to dispel that feeling.
I definitely think that the ubiquitousness of the song put me off it to some extent. I thought 'Open your heart' was the far superior single.

The Human League - Dare - Don't You Want Me... from the first time I ever listened to it I felt this was just incongruous and didn't fit with the rest of the album. It's huge success has done nothing to dispel that feeling.
Funny that, I bought the album back then because of that song… tastes!
Great record I still love listening to.

advertisement

Back