advertisement

Great advice for buying a Range Rover.

hqdefault.jpg
Yes, we want to know!

I'm not sure I'd buy a new motor without ensuring the warranty and service plan was robust enough. I've done that with the Volvo I'm getting next month. I was always a realist regarding my Jaguar - nice car, lots on/in it to go wrong, so ensured sufficient funds available to cope with it. When we had the RR Velar for a week whilst my wife's car was in for repair post RTC (not her fault) I loved the car, but not the reliability reputation or actual cost of it.
A wise choice Volvo build in quality throughout, not just the quality you can see.

There’s a Volvo in my mate’s workshop atm. The fan belt broke and somehow managed to get under the cambelt and it knocked the timing out. We’ve timed it back up and put a new belt on but it doesn’t sound happy:(

Looks great, but no wipers on an off road vehicle? First time it rains or you hit a puddle you have to fold the screen flat out of the way.

Good point. The missing wipers represent peak technology. The left and right are linked together, and are ingeniously hand operated by passenger power. I think they had broken. They are entirely useless even when they're not.

As you can see from one of the photos, your really need wipers on the 'inside' too.

Good point. The missing wipers represent peak technology. The left and right are linked together, and are ingeniously hand operated by passenger power. I think they had broken. They are entirely useless even when they're not.

As you can see from one of the photos, your really need wipers on the 'inside' too.
I think the winning system is to fold the screen flat when driving, and to avoid wet weather. A friend of mine used to be into rally driving and various forms of motor sport involving ancient cars, on one occasion his wipers packed up so he rigged a string to each side of the mechanism and his passenger pulled them back and forth. I think it worked about as well as you would expect. I have seen systems with a cranking handle hanging out of the dash. As you say they are fairly useless even when working as intended.

There’s a Volvo in my mate’s workshop atm. The fan belt broke and somehow managed to get under the cambelt and it knocked the timing out. We’ve timed it back up and put a new belt on but it doesn’t sound happy:(
Probably did not change the fan belt when it was off to change the cam belt kit. The other false economy is not changing the water pump.
Which engine is it?

It’s the classic way for the Volvo D5 5 cylinder to die. Mine’s due a new belt and a pulley check soon.

Yes it a D5 engine. The engine still runs but I reckon it needs the head pulling. I don't think the company that owns it wants to spend any serious money on it so it's just been sat outside for the last six weeks.

I have always had a love hate relationship with Range Rovers.
...also the ridiculous short service interval for the drive shafts ...

The reason for that was simple - the diffs (hence also, driveshaft spline capacity etc) - were basically Rover P4 parts: yes, really.

Feed those through a low-range transfer box and now wonder what the bigger -engine x low-range gearing torque-gain might do to a small diff conceived in the age of The Ovaltinies, the Light Programme, and vespers ...

There are all-sorts of crafty fixes for old Rangies running more (or even standard!) power for longevity - basically, machining the diff housings to receive a bronze pad on set-screws - externally-adjustable - behind the pinion:crown-wheel contact patch, to back-up the crown wheel from simply bending -away from its responsibilities. Supposed to work very, very well, too... at a price.

Yes it a D5 engine. The engine still runs but I reckon it needs the head pulling. I don't think the company that owns it wants to spend any serious money on it so it's just been sat outside for the last six weeks.
Compression test will tell you if it has a bent valve. Head jobs on diesels are horrible. I know a few who have tried, some very good mechanics, and the vast majority end in tears. Same goes for turbos on the things. Owners are persuaded to put £1000 into a new turbo "because the engine is probably all right, can't be sure but..." and 2 days later it's "yeah not great news here, turns out the engine went at the same time." 2 of my mates have been stung for that one. One went the whole hog, ended up spending more than the car was worth, the other cut his losses by selling the thing to the mechanic. The second one was a VW Golf 1.9, the ones that are supposed to be indestructible. Modern diesels are great, you can really see the development that has been put in over the last 20 years, but when they go wrong they are dreadful.

Pulling the head off that D5 is no biggie for my mate but he's reluctant to do that at this stage. He's waiting for the client to make a decision. He's plenty of bread and butter work in that pays straight away.

Pulling the head off that D5 is no biggie for my mate but he's reluctant to do that at this stage. He's waiting for the client to make a decision. He's plenty of bread and butter work in that pays straight away.
Absolutely. He's not going to start on spec when he has a queue of MoTs needing suspension bushes, discs and pads and a lightbulb for another £250, today, thanks.

advertisement

Back