advertisement

Grauniad crossword

Great article. Araucaria was probably the best ever but it was pretty rare that I managed to finish one. I liked the alphabetic ones where you had work out where the answers fitted.

Over 20 years since seeing a Guardian crossword. I was long term in a hotel when moving jobs, a group would congregate at the bar every evening with their crosswords.

Like The Times crossword, particularly the Jumbo on Saturday, also the fiendish Sudoku.

There have been some letters to The Guardian lately about the fact that their cryptic crossword is getting too hard.
I do like the fact that if you type "anagram" into Google you get the question " Did you mean "nag a ram?"

another cryptic clue 'sound stage check' (1,2,1,2,1,2) :)

Great article. Araucaria was probably the best ever but it was pretty rare that I managed to finish one. I liked the alphabetic ones where you had work out where the answers fitted.

Araucaria's Grauniad obit said:
...he worked hard and produced dozens of puzzles a month, including six cryptics for the Guardian, some more for other papers (though never the Times; he refused to work for Murdoch)

I hadn't read about his feelings towards Murdoch before... he was an even greater man than I had thought!

Araucaria also did private work - we bought a crossword for my (late) sister, and you could ask him to include specific areas of interest, although the puzzle was a bitch even so! She really liked it.

I'm slightly surprised the Araucaria article on wikipedia doesn't mention his interest in the humble dormouse.

advertisement

Back