advertisement

Grape vines

blossomchris

I feel better than James Brown
I was wondering if there are any members growing vines.
I am only on third year growth and although have 8 potential bunches (on two vines)
I fear they may not turn to fruition owing to a disappointing start to this year.
Any tips/others experiences appreciated

Bloss

It's all down to variety and geography/soil. I grow Baco and Millot (not Merlot), bought them from a local (Oxon) vineyard and while I get lots of grapes they are only fit for winemaking with added sugar. Check out anyone local to you who has successful vines and bleed them for info. Soil prep is everything, you only get one chance so need to get it right first time. Getting the initial training is important for future convenience and at this time of year they need regular pruning-good luck.

Thanks molee, mine are dessert grape vines and last year produced 2 small bunches on each (red and white variety-German if I remember correctly) and what we had was very good. This year although more bunches, grapes do not look tip-top, perhaps early days?

We did plant them in pre-prepared soil and watered sparingly to encourage root depth.
Maybe just a mediocre start to the year has not helped
would like to know if others have had same problem

Bloss

I've got one that has been in the garden for 8 years or so. Damn thing grows like a weed, wish I'd never planted it (it was a gift so I felt obligated).

It produces quite a lot of grapes, dessert variety, but they are rather dominated by skin and pip so I don't tend to eat many of them. One year I made grape juice which was ok.

I have mine up against/around my extension and more along a fence with the last 8ft going into the greenhouse. The difference in development between the greenhouse ones and the coolest spot is dramatic. This year the soil took an age to warm up-forget air temps, it's warm rain that warms up the soil and the spring rain was all coming from the NW/NE-so things are slower all round. There is so much to take into account, give them time.

About 30,000: Sav B. Pinot Gris, Pinot Noir and Riesling plus a fruit salad block of Chenin Blanc, Chardonnay, Viognier, Cab franc, Gewurtz. etc.
A bit more than a hobby but not enough to retire on.

Perhaps you are right, maybe next year will produce a larger crop

UK is never going to compete with NZ at grape growing. Must say I prefer NZ white wine over Australian

Bloss

They are dependent on latitude. My Dad had one in a greenhouse when they lived near Lincoln, it did OK but the dessert grapes it produced, Black Homburg variety, were a bit leathery and lacking in sugar. I remember the pruning was critical, it was rather labour intensive. Eventually he lost interest in it and it was cut down. Shame, but he doesn't miss it.

When we moved to our present house about twenty years ago I blagged some cuttings from a couple of local Sussex & Kent vineyards. I can't remember what they are except they are white and turn pale pink if you leave them long enough, and they taste a bit sharp. They aren't on special root-stock or anything but they do ok growing on trellis by the fence.

I've also got a couple of olive trees, but the pea-sized olives are few and far between.

For some reason our German friends find it highly amusing that we can grow grapes and olives (sort of) in the south of England.

If any of you vine owners want to flog off your vine leaves whenever is the appropriate time to harvest (post grape harvest??) them give me a shout.

I like making stuffed leaves but the only source of them is brined/vacuum packed, and then only from small ethnic grocers these days. The big supermarkets seem to have stopped stocking them. But I'd like to see how the taste/texture varies when using fresh.

Ta!

A neighbour of mine has had some growing up the side of his house for 30 years here in South Manchester, he said they make lovely wine. The wall is West or South-West facing if that makes a difference.

A neighbour of mine has had some growing up the side of his house for 30 years here in South Manchester, he said they make lovely wine. The wall is West or South-West facing if that makes a difference.

West is the best for me with the wall trained ones. It means they go into the night with the highest temps radiating off the wall-even better than south-facing. It seems to me that it is low night temps rather than lack of high day temps that is the biggest impediment to growing any fruit or veg.

If any of you vine owners want to flog off your vine leaves whenever is the appropriate time to harvest (post grape harvest??) them give me a shout.

I like making stuffed leaves but the only source of them is brined/vacuum packed, and then only from small ethnic grocers these days. The big supermarkets seem to have stopped stocking them. But I'd like to see how the taste/texture varies when using fresh.

Ta!

My lad is pruning ours as I type (delegation-it's the name of the game) and there will be loads going straight into the compost bin. The ones to get are the ones that are growing at the fastest rate as there will be less toughness-I'm not sure if our cool maritime climate ones could compete with Mediterranean ones though.

Thanks for all the replies.
I will sit out this year, cut back hard in the winter and try a different pruning system

Bloss

My lad is pruning ours as I type (delegation-it's the name of the game) and there will be loads going straight into the compost bin. The ones to get are the ones that are growing at the fastest rate as there will be less toughness-I'm not sure if our cool maritime climate ones could compete with Mediterranean ones though.

Noooooo.... Assuming that you are in the northern hemisphere this is the wrong time of year for pruning. It should be done in winter. Vines transfer carbohydrates to the roots in autumn so generally you shouldn't prune till after early winter (traditionally the solstice). Also, the most fruitful shoots will be those that come from last season's wood so if you have a permanent cordon, leave one or two bud spurs from the previous seasons growth to provide shoots for this years crop. Google "spur pruning".

I think he may be referring to cutting back of leaves rather than pruning. This is what they do at the vineyards to expose the grapes to the sunlight to expedite ripening. I watched a guy using shears in Burgandy and trimming away at the vines rather like you do with an overgrown bush.

Cheers,

DV

As DV says, I'm 'pruning' summer growth back to two bunches/5 leaves per 'shoot'. Or rather, my lad is.

What sort of a crop did you have this year, if any.
I think we had 10 grapes (not bunches) on 2 vines

Bloss

This is my vine...

3 years old now; grown from a cutting of a fairly old vine of my fathers. It's planted directly into the ground and has been pruned right back every year so far. It's also fed well when it rains and gets some decent feed before it really takes off

We've had so many bunches of grapes so far; over 50 easy. I'm still taking a lot to the lads at the gym I train at as the wife & I can't eat them all!

I'm going to strip all the others off this weekend and juice some and freeze the rest :)

advertisement

Back