advertisement

Graham Audio Chartwell LS3/5 speakers.

Yes, I was taken with then initially but for long-term listening the LS3/5As were more satisfying.
I sold them to help finance a project of new LS3/5A components in new Rogers' cabinets.
They have proved excellent.
And complement the Graham 3/5s very well.
Small BBC boxes continue to fascinate me...

Some fall in love easily and often. Nonetheless ardently for all that….

I had the Graham LS3/5s in for audition for a couple of weeks, and thought them a fine example of the BBC style. Could I have distinguished them in a blindfold test from the Stirling V2s I had for a year or so, or the V3s that followed? Or the skilled hobbyist’s hybrid of modern Rogers LS3/5a spec’d cabinets with Stirling V2 drivers, that are still with me? Cannot say.
Speaking for myself, the excitement and close listening that comes with new speakers brings a natural infatuation. Whether that lasts over the longer term, at least for me, is another question. So far, nothing has displaced my 15+ year old Harbeth P3ES-2s, which are of course not constrained by LS3/5 or 3/5a specs…

I listen, from about 7 feet away, to pretty much the same sort of music Martyn mentions, and Gervais adds, throw in some of the early music revived by Jordi Savall, classical, Latin and Spanish guitar, some of the neo-classical and ambient…I’ll stop now…

Now there’s an interesting subject, love and infatuation with speakers.
The speakers that have stayed with me the longest are my Spendor BC1s.

I loved the way they sounded from the day I bought them, back in the late ‘70s.
They sounded like nothing I’d heard before.

Yes, they captured my heart.
We have lived together for well over 40 years and they still bring me much pleasure.

I still haven't heard a pair of BC1 but I understand that they're very similar to my Rogers Studio 1, and in my living room the Rogers beat my Stirling v3 and Quad 10L hands down (although it's not really a fair test due to the room size and character). On my office desk I still haven't really decided whether I prefer the v3 over the 10L.

I’ve arranged to listen to some Graham LS3/5’s next week, which I’m looking forward to. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences in terms of what amplifiers would work well with them? I assume the same kind of thing that would work with LS3/5a’s?

I’ve arranged to listen to some Graham LS3/5’s next week, which I’m looking forward to. I was wondering if anyone has any experiences in terms of what amplifiers would work well with them? I assume the same kind of thing that would work with LS3/5a’s?
I’m using a unison research Unico with mine and it sounds lovely

Room size, music you listen to and budget? :)

Quad 303 and 306 work well

advertisement

Back