advertisement

Grado SR325is

Grado have just announced a new 'E Series' for all their cans, so all the 'i' versions are now end of line. Expect close-outs across the range.

I just bought pair of P1000E,s 2 days ago. Stunning stunning stunning! and getting better with time, which I find surprising for cans...speakers yes I get that but I was not expecting such changes with cans. See my post. Toneally far superior & hitting way above the market value. Pm if you want more detailed impressions.

Headphones take a long time to break-in IME. I tend to leave them hooked to the TV or equivalent for a week or so, the end of which they always sound a heck of a lot better.

Hmmm. Could these be powered by iPhone or Macbook? I need some cans to take on holiday and my Senn HD25 1-II are in need of repair. Still expensive, but tempting if they're great.

The cheaper ones are on sale too, such as the SR80i, but I seem to remember they weren't as good as the Sennheiser 25s. The new SR80e is only £99. Would that work with an iPhone?

I bought my Grado SR325 (the gold ones) just before they brought out the 325IS models 8 or so years ago. Paid £210 IIRC. Good buy at these prices, wouldn't pay £385 for them though, build quality is not good enough IMO.

Hmmm. Could these be powered by iPhone or Macbook? I need some cans to take on holiday and my Senn HD25 1-II are in need of repair. Still expensive, but tempting if they're great.

The cheaper ones are on sale too, such as the SR80i, but I seem to remember they weren't as good as the Sennheiser 25s. The new SR80e is only £99. Would that work with an iPhone?

You can use them on a iPhone, but you need an adaptor.

IMO - don't bother - the headphone lead is fairly long, and with the adaptor everything is going to be quite bulky. Also the Grados are fairly flimsy in construction, so you'd probably end up breaking them.

Well I just bought some, after verifying that I can take them back after a trial if necessary. I think they are marginally cheaper in Canada, and I'll be there in a couple of weeks, so it's not so cheap a price.

I'm going to Maplin now to source an adapter. They are more for use indoors away from home so the bulk is not such a bad thing. I'll report over the weekend on how they sound

I have these headphones, very nice they are too. That said you can get pretty close to the sound for a fraction of the price with the 80s which are a bargain, even cheaper in the US.

The 325s are a little more detailed throughout the range and slightly more forward presentation, I am a fan of mine though. That said I never really wear them out in favour of IEM as I not a public transport tool like most people seem to be these days. They leak like anything.

That said I never really wear them out in favour of IEM as I not a public transport tool like most people seem to be these days. They leak like anything.

Yes - they are very open back - if you are listening to your music then everyone nearby will be too! :D

I have tried them now. Perhaps it's unfair to judge them without burn in, and perhaps they really need to be heard through a proper dac and head amp to really judge them, but for my purposes I want something for use with a Macbook. They seem to me very revealing but hot and forward in character; I would think too much so for extended listening.

I also ordered some Sennheiser HD600 at what seems to me a decent price;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00004SY4H/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

They are much more neutral. They immediately reminded me of hearing the Harbeth Super HL5+ a couple of weeks ago; there is that sense of correct balance and rightness. Although if I were going on speaker comparisons, they are probably closer to the Harbeth Monitor 30.

The only problem with the HD600s is that they clearly are far less sensitive than the Grados, so harder to drive with an iPhone, for example. Perhaps it's insulting to put them to that use anyway.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Andrew
I got a pair of HIFIMan HE 400 cans from the US at a very good price. they are superb phones - not as warm as the HD600s but very detailed without being too forward. Unlike the others higher up the range its reasonably sensitive and I find my MAcbook drives it just fine

Andrew
I got a pair of HIFIMan HE 400 cans from the US at a very good price. they are superb phones - not as warm as the HD600s but very detailed without being too forward. Unlike the others higher up the range its reasonably sensitive and I find my MAcbook drives it just fine

That sounds promising. I'm certainly taking the Grados back, and I might take the Senns back too, then see what I can find in Canada.

I use the 80is and think they are excellent head phones
Ive used them with Iphones and Ipod and Samsung S4 they sound great with them but are a little harder to drive, they come with the small mini jack and 1/4" adapter so you don't need any other adapter unless new iphones require it ? haven't owned one for a few years now?
You may also want to check out the AKG 545
When I am travelling I use the noise cancelling AKG K490nc
http://www.richersounds.com/search/akg#1

Alan

advertisement

Back