advertisement

Grado 80s

Depends if you like a certain sound? Grado, sennheiser etc....and budget.
Eg, amazon have sennheiset hd599 for £70? At the moment.

I would contend that the SR80 are the sweet spot in the Grado range. 325's may offer a little more of what I want from Grado but the wretched foam cups, weight distribution and, well, weight make them unpleasant after less than one album of listening time. The more expensive versions... nah, not worth it.

If you can live with the egos, the best upgrade for the '80s is a better signal chain. They are very capable (for their money and some way above it). Mine are over twenty years old, never had an issue with them (excepting the foam ear pads of course - on my fourth pair of Grado originals).

Not cosy for sure, in sound or comfort, but sonically very capable of revealing what's going on upsteam.

Hi I'm running them from a naim xs2 ,would they benefit from an external stage etc
Cheers

Probably only in terms of "flavour". A Pass Lab headphone amp will round of the edges a little, for instance. Tubes will enriched the bass and mids, take the heat out of the treble a bit. They have plenty of scope for eq as well if you have the means or interest in doing that.

Out of a Chord Dave they sounded way better than their price.

advertisement

Back