advertisement

Govt mobile phone emergency alert

mikeyb

pfm Member
Sunday April 23rd your phone will set off an alert for 10 seconds and you'll not be able to use your phone again until you acknowledge it.

If you're driving you must park up before using your phone to switch off the alert and remember that means handbrake on and engine off as you can get a ticket and 6 points for not having the engine off.

Sunday April 23rd your phone will set off an alert for 10 seconds and you'll not be able to use your phone again until you acknowledge it.

If you're driving you must park up before using your phone to switch off the alert and remember that means handbrake on and engine off as you can get a ticket and 6 points for not having the engine off.
Depending upon the time, I may be on a BA flight. That will be interesting if other passengers are on their wifi!

So thousands of motorway drivers will suddenly try to pull over to the ( possibly non-existent) hard shoulder, to sort out their phones?
Sounds like fun....:D

I had to check today wasn't April 1st..
23rd of April is St George's Day..for what it's worth.

If you’re driving or riding when you get an alert
  • You should not read or otherwise respond to an emergency alert whilst driving or riding a motorcycle.
  • If you are driving, you should continue to drive and not respond to the noise or attempt to pick up the mobile phone and deal with the message.
  • Find somewhere safe and legal to stop before reading the message. If there is nowhere safe or legal to stop close by, and nobody else is in the vehicle to read the alert, tune into live radio and wait for bulletins until you can find somewhere safe and legal to stop.
It is illegal to use a hand-held device while driving or riding.

So thousands of motorway drivers will suddenly try to pull over to the ( possibly non-existent) hard shoulder, to sort out their phones?
Sounds like fun....:D
I think the alert itself will stop sounding after 10 seconds, so you'll not need to cancel it immediately, just acknowledge it before next use of the phone.

Still a considerable and unexpected distraction. Given that many seem incapable of ignoring their phones while driving, I'd put money on the risk of deaths ensuing.

I understand the actual message to be broadcast will be:

"This is a test emergency message from the government. We know you don't believe anything we say any more, so please don't panic thinking this must be a real emergency message."

Still a considerable and unexpected distraction. Given that many seem incapable of ignoring their phones while driving, I'd put money on the risk of deaths ensuing.

add it to the risk assessment you do before you set off on a car journey

you might be able to mitigate the risk associated by distraction by opting out

Opting out of emergency alerts
You can opt out of emergency alerts, but you should keep them switched on for your own safety.

To opt out:

1. Search your settings for ‘emergency alerts’.
  2. Turn off ‘severe alerts’ and ‘extreme alerts’.
If you still get alerts, contact your device manufacturer for help.​

I will be placing my phone in a Faraday cage (possibly fashioned from a mesh sieve from Asda) to block the alert.

I refuse to become a guvernmint zombie, which, make no mistake, you will become if you accept and read the alert.

40b131ad6d790a45d462115cfb0fec47.png

So all freedom loving individuals will switch their phone off obviously but what will ‘the govt’ be doing on their phones when everyone’s not listening? SHTF moment?

advertisement

Back