advertisement

Gordon Banks RIP

Apparently he had to sell his medals to make ends meet? Contrast that with the pay levels of today’s footballers. A disgrace.
As well as being a hero goalie, he was by all accounts a true gentleman as well.
RIP.

An amazing goalkeeper, probably in the top five of all time, six times he won Uefa goalkeeper of the year & that Pele save....

On the radio today they said that he sold his WC medal in 2001 to help his children buy their houses and that he received £1000 for wining the WC in 1966, presumably that was a lot of money in 1966 but a pittance for what those players achieved for their country.

Jimmy Johnstone RIP (Celtic player and voted the club's greatest ever player) also had to sell his medals to make ends meet but those players, like Banks and Johnstone, didn't need medals they had talent in abundance that you couldn't put a value on.

Rip Mr Banks.

RIP Gordon, he was a childhood hero of mine: I used to practice "that save" in between jumpers at the 'rec. They say one should never meet one's heroes as they inevitably disappoint in real life - I don't believe that could ever be the case for Gordon Banks.

One of nicest people you could meet - it’s shameful that he was never knighted. What more could he have done in his capacity as a sportsman for his country?

Still, he had the respect and affection from everyone who met him. You can’t put a price on that.

The greatest goalkeeper of all time. Better than the guys that followed him for England - Peter Shilton, Ray Clemence, and David Seaman (who were all exceptional), and the international greats like Lev Yashin, Peter Schmeichel, Dino Zoff, and Gianluigi Buffon (to name but four). That's how good he was.

R.I.P. Gordon

advertisement

Back