advertisement

Google photos and google ads.

eternumviti

Insufficient privileges to reply.
One of those niggles around the matter of internet privacy.

I somehow aquired a google account with a new smartphone last year, which I found automatically uploads the photos that you take on the phone camera to what has turned out to be a very useful cloud storage application called Google Photos. It is apparently unlimited and free, unless you intend to use it for very large individual files.

Now the working of internet 'algorithms' are, and will always remain, impenetrable to me. However, I have just noticed this remarkable coincidence.

A snap photo that I took on my phone at a social function last weekend, and the banner ads displaying to me on pfm this morning. The photo is of a circular love-in involving the mighty Boozilla, who will be familiar to those on the pets photographs thread in the photo room.

However, I draw your attention, if it hasn't already been drawn there by natural processes, to the dark-haired young woman in the background...

N5HPUV.jpg

And a screenshot of the banner ads on pfm...

UyFD1R.jpg

....!

Don't be evil

Isn't that the google 'phrase', or something like it?

The trouble is, you can't get away from it. I tried to log out of google on my (android) phone, and you simply can't, it takes down the operating system, and if you are logged into google on a PC you remain so even if you run a sweep of your cookies and stored files.

I find it pretty uncomfortable. There is no way that the thing is coincidental. I guess there's no such thing as free in google world.

Really ? I seem to be able to log out of Google OK.

CHE

Sure, you can log out on a PC (not on an android phone), but you have to remember to physically do it. If I run CCleaner it logs me out of everything else, but not google.

Many years ago during my teenage punk fanzine days I got to know the anarcho-punk group Crass.

In one of our conversations, a member of the group told he thought computers were a completely malign development. At the time, circa 1980, computers were still very much a professional thing and much of what we have now wasn't even imagined. But I still thought on the whole he was being a paranoid hippy. In recent years I'm beginning to think he was right. Modern technology affords government (and now, big business) the ability to control and monitor people in ways that are almost impossible to escape unless you go completely off-grid. China is now forging the way forward for the technologically bolstered hard-authoritarian regime to the point where it is becoming a model for other governments. The US included, I daresay.

advertisement

Back