advertisement

Goodmans Maxim firsthand experience

They were supposed to be great with a Nait 2. Naim used them throughout the factory for the workers' radio system. I have an old pair, tried them recently when I was waiting for my new speakers - and was totally disappointed. No treble at all and totally muffled. Maybe this pair is just old and tired.

Regards
Matt

I have an old pair, tried them recently when I was waiting for my new speakers - and was totally disappointed. No treble at all and totally muffled. Maybe this pair is just old and tired.

The Maxim uses a very simple crossover: a cap for the tweeter and an inductor for the woofer. You may need to replace the tweeter cap.

The original frequency response was quite good, going down to about 100Hz.

If you don't like them, send them to me!

I have a pair of original Goodmans Maxims, found in original manufacturers packaging. I bought them at a boot sale for.......................£2:00. :)

When tested one was fine, tother had no treble, went inside speaker encolsure to investigate, the magnet had broken away from the tweeter, it was an old plastic molded tweeter which I think has been upgraded as this was obviously a flaw in the design. I never did get around to replacing the pair of tweeters, I still have the Maxims but they are buried deep in my storage unit.

I have a pair of original Goodmans Maxims, found in original manufacturers packaging. I bought them at a boot sale for.......................£2:00. :)

I obtained my Maximus 2's the same way. Cost me £10. (Well, it was US dollars, but about that.) The Maximus 2 is a Maxim with a double woofer, and a slightly larger cabinet, but otherwise identical. Mine need to be recapped, and I was going to build a proper crossover once I can measure the T-S characteristics and calculate everything.

When tested one was fine, tother had no treble, went inside speaker encolsure to investigate, the magnet had broken away from the tweeter, it was an old plastic molded tweeter which I think has been upgraded as this was obviously a flaw in the design.

Are these the original Goodmans tweeters? As I recall, there aren't any molded-plastic parts to break, but I may not be understanding what failed or mine may be a different (likely older) vintage.

I've seen a number of Maxims for sale with blown drivers, usually tweeters, as college students would turn the volume up far beyond their limited capacity until all the magic smoke was let out of the drivers and they would no longer work. I keep thinking I should buy them and will eventually accumulate enough parts to resurrect a pair.

^ In his dreams Yank.

$_57.JPG

Those tweeters look like Motorola horn bullet tweets to me, they sound awful.

^ In his dreams Yank.

$_57.JPG

Those tweeters look like Motorola horn bullet tweets to me, they sound awful.

They also appear to have ports on the rear panels, as you can see the foam through them. The price appears excessive, as they aren't original. I would probably pay £150 maximum.

He is trading on the 'collectability' value as people do with old LS3/5as, which must be well out of spec.
There is no accounting for what people will buy. Nostalgia is a funny thing...

The woofers don't match either. It looks like the one on the right may have been repaired around the dustcap. They are is a sad state

About 20 years ago a mate split up with his GF and came to stay at mine. He brought with him a pair of Double Maxims bought for £10 from a SH shop. He later moved out, owing me (and half of Leeds as it turned out) money. The speakers were one of the things he left behind and when it became clear I wasn't going to see my money I sold them to a mate of my Dad's. I rated them as "OK" but my Dad's pal raved about them. He was a big jazzhead who sadly contracted Alzheimer's and has recently died. I could speak to his daughters, with whom I went to school, about buying the speakers back, but I won't be bothering. They aren't that special, I'd take Ditton 44s over them every day, for less money (and a bigger box).

advertisement

Back