advertisement

Goodmans Magnum SL

istari_knight

pfm Member
I'm picking a pair up at the weekend, can anyone shed some light on them ?

All I know is they look very interesting...

f2.jpg
f1.jpg

I have a pair of these, they are OK, bit wooly in the bass and recessed in the mid-range. Not particularly deep bass as considering its a 12" (sealed cabinet).
Probably make nice bedroom/background music speakers.
They were free so cant complain.

The Spec I have on them says:-

12" bass driver, 4" back-loaded mic-range unit, 1" dome tweeter.
Crossover freqiiencies 2kHz and 6kHz, FR 35Hz-22kHz (But no dB limits quoted)
Power handling 60watts (DIN) Price (in 1977) £66.90 + VAT, although not stated, I think this would be each, not a pair.

As an example of where they were compared with others, B&W DM4 was £55.68 + VAT each, KEF 103 £72.50 +VAT each, JR149 £ 55.00 + VAT each.

S.

S.

Thank you both :)

They were only £20 so no sweat if they're poor... Interesting to see they were more expensive than DM4's when new - They were & still can be very nice.

I suspect the old "elcaps" need replacing by now, I restored the crossovers in a pair of IMF's & all of the elcaps were up to 100% out of spec changing the crossover frequencies rather a lot! Beforehand they sounded like a radiogram with a sub attached but after you would never guess they were 40 years old.

I'll let you know how I get on.

I like!

Very unfussy when it comes to placement, less bass boom than my other speakers which have 6" & 8" bass drivers... Overall sound quite natural and as Hoops said just downright pleasant for background listening. I'm yet to have a proper "session" with them so wont say any more.

Currently driving them with a Sony ES and cant help feeling a Sugden A21 would be a better match...Hmmm :)

These are great speakers for the money. They don't do subterranean bass, but it's capable of being pretty tight with a few tweaks. (I also had the older K2 version, which were much better engineered, yet sounded worse somehow.)

These respond well to a recap (I used some fastcaps from Solen), re-wiring as they're open, and I also preferred them with quite a bit of stuffing removed. I put a tightly wedged bit of 3"x2" timber across them width-wise for bracing (those cabs are waffly) and it was much better. So much so I later put all the innards into the heavier K2 cabs, again with a brace and minimal stuffing.

I liked these so much I went and bought their bigger brothers (15" woofer, 26hz).

Currently listening to R3 through these charming old speakers... very nice.

The bass is strange & hard to explain, all I can say is unforced & natural. Certainly makes my smaller speakers sound very wrong.

Serge's specs say they go down to 35hz, I would guess that's at -10dB at least.

Unfortunately the cabinets are in a bad state [beyond repair to the level I would desire] So its either make some new cabinets or look out for some K2's like you did hmmm

It could be worth having a play with yours Hoops...

I have removed half of the foam filling from each & now the bass is what one would expect from drivers/cabinets this size.

On the downside I can now hear the cabinets singing along :eek: Needs some bracing & bitumen sheet I think... Well worth a try though.

advertisement

Back