advertisement

Good quality reasonably priced 16 gauge OFC copper speaker cables

I've never heard of that cable, it sounds really interesting.
I read it's quite system dependant, what amp and speakers are you using
and what length of speaker cable?

I used it 3 or 4 years back with Leben and 47Labs amps into Living Voice OBX-RWs, 3 metre lengths, during which time it saw off a number of alternatives. It was only ever purchased as a stop gap, but I used it quite happily for 15 months or so while I hunted for what I actually wanted, whereas every other alternative I tried (from Tellurium Q, Black Rhodium and Zu only lasted a few weeks at best). Both the interconnect and speaker cables remind me of the Kondo cabling I normally use, maybe a wee bit darker overall but still very listenable.

It wasn't quite as successful in two different systems with a high-powered amp driving low efficiency speakers (Job/Boenicke and Hegel/KEF) where it came off notably second best to Atlas Mavros, in both cases seeming to lack a bit of weight and definition at the bottom end. Horses for courses and all that. The Kondo and Atlas cables are of course both about 20 times the price...

If you want to go really thin there's a 1.6mm Supra Classic; i use 4mm and 6mm.

You should be below £3-00 per metre for 1.6mm, probably not good for a long run but i don't have the resistance to hand.

I used it 3 or 4 years back with Leben and 47Labs amps into Living Voice OBX-RWs, 3 metre lengths, during which time it saw off a number of alternatives. It was only ever purchased as a stop gap, but I used it quite happily for 15 months or so while I hunted for what I actually wanted, whereas every other alternative I tried (from Tellurium Q, Black Rhodium and Zu only lasted a few weeks at best). Both the interconnect and speaker cables remind me of the Kondo cabling I normally use, maybe a wee bit darker overall but still very listenable.

It wasn't quite as successful in two different systems with a high-powered amp driving low efficiency speakers (Job/Boenicke and Hegel/KEF) where it came off notably second best to Atlas Mavros, in both cases seeming to lack a bit of weight and definition at the bottom end. Horses for courses and all that. The Kondo and Atlas cables are of course both about 20 times the price...

Thanks for that, it's possible I've just stumbled across what I have been looking for.
I have a valve amp and very efficient speakers and now need longer cables, the DCA16GA might just do the trick.

I just love this forum.

Extraordinary stuff IMO. I own 3 sets of speaker cables, two of them cost more (by some margin) per mono metre than a 3m stereo pair of DCA16, and the latter is by no means embarrassed in that company, I could live with it quite happily. I actually bought an interconnect (DCA20) I had no need of just to see if it was a fluke, nope it's really good too, which is perhaps why an alleged friend of mine has never felt moved to give it back after borrowing it, three years down the line.

Only caveat might be in the context of systems with high power amps/inefficient speakers, in which case I might be tempted to double up.

https://jeffsplace.positive-feedbac...uelund-altec-project-the-adventure-continues/

https://theaudiobeatnik.com/duelund-dca-tinned-copper-cables-part-4/

UK supplier:

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wi...istrand-copper-wire-cotton-oil-insulated.html

Very interesting post - I notice they do a 12AWG version of this so maybe no need to double up on higher powered systems. In fact based on those links I've just ordered the Belden tinned copper RCA cables also mentioned to see what the fuss is about - quite reasonable cost so not much to loose.

Well. Received my Van Damme this morning.Looked solid. Fitted to my Maggies. Just breaking in but guess what? Just as enjoyable a sound as before. Bargain! Well chuffed.Thanks Amber for the suggestion. Some cable to sell and profit to be made. I’m loving my journey back to fundamentals. So enlightening and cheap!

Well. Received my Van Damme this morning.Looked solid. Fitted to my Maggies. Just breaking in but guess what? Just as enjoyable a sound as before. Bargain! Well chuffed.Thanks Amber for the suggestion. Some cable to sell and profit to be made. I’m loving my journey back to fundamentals. So enlightening and cheap!

Stop press! Cable doesn't sound different shock horror!

Extraordinary stuff IMO. I own 3 sets of speaker cables, two of them cost more (by some margin) per mono metre than a 3m stereo pair of DCA16, and the latter is by no means embarrassed in that company, I could live with it quite happily. I actually bought an interconnect (DCA20) I had no need of just to see if it was a fluke, nope it's really good too, which is perhaps why an alleged friend of mine has never felt moved to give it back after borrowing it, three years down the line.

Only caveat might be in the context of systems with high power amps/inefficient speakers, in which case I might be tempted to double up.

https://jeffsplace.positive-feedbac...uelund-altec-project-the-adventure-continues/

https://theaudiobeatnik.com/duelund-dca-tinned-copper-cables-part-4/

UK supplier:

https://www.hificollective.co.uk/wi...istrand-copper-wire-cotton-oil-insulated.html
Interested in trying this, probably the DUAL 2.5mm cable, what’s the outer sheath like to work with and keep tidy, does it fray? Likely be Be/Cu Z plugs or WBT Spades I’ll use.

I’ve successfully returned to the beginning and can now enjoy my hifi without the need to upgrade! The speaker cables were the last thing to go! Back to basics in a way. Need to just tidy it up a bit now.

Mmm..just reading up on Amazon basics interconnects which are copper coated aluminium. No issues with sound quality but there are concerns about safety. Should I be concerned and if so what should I get to replace? I’m only interested in ofc copper, not silver shielded and under £20 if possible.

Mmm..just reading up on Amazon basics interconnects which are copper coated aluminium. No issues with sound quality but there are concerns about safety. Should I be concerned and if so what should I get to replace? I’m only interested in ofc copper, not silver shielded and under £20 if possible.

What safety issues are there?

Used them in various places with no issues, moving a Sub next week and a 5m Basics cable cost me £7, Audioquest £43, used 3 of the Basics sub cables for ages, can’t argue with the value.

There are some threads about fire safety issues and easy breakage and deterioration of the plate. Just bothered me a bit.

There are some threads about fire safety issues and easy breakage and deterioration of the plate. Just bothered me a bit.
You'd imagine if it were an issue it would be widely reported, personally not heard anything detrimental about the Basics stuff.

Ordered some Van Damme 1.5 this weekend.

Is this the Blue Series or the shotgun-style hifi cable with clear jacket? If the latter, how flexible do you find it? I want something to go under a mat across a patio door but don't want to find it's a real PITA to fit round corners etc.

advertisement

Back