advertisement

[WTD] Good quality audio IEC Power Cables

beammeup

pfm Member
You can spend stupid money on these things so hoping perhaps I can find a few good used ones here on PFM.

Thanks.

Evening

I've got a range of power cables that are now spare after a system change.
2m Puritan Audio Classic
1.5m MCRU cable - don't know what 'version' but has grey sheathing at each end.
2m cable of unknown vintage (MIGHT be Pro-ject) - has orange plug and a Box-Design IEC.
1m unknown vintage.

PM if interested and can get photos sorted.

Cheers

Evening

I've got a range of power cables that are now spare after a system change.
2m Puritan Audio Classic
1.5m MCRU cable - don't know what 'version' but has grey sheathing at each end.
2m cable of unknown vintage (MIGHT be Pro-ject) - has orange plug and a Box-Design IEC.
1m unknown vintage.

PM if interested and can get photos sorted.

Cheers
Ok will PM thanks

How far into "stupid money" were you thinking of venturing....?
Not far at all - I just feel I need better cables than the standard cables thrown in with the equipment.

In fact dare I say I am using some IEC cables I use on some of the computers at work.

Would those computers not work better with an 'upgraded' audio mains cable attached ?
Mine did when I used a PC as a music server because it lowered the noise floor. Although we know that being sanctimonious was the purpose of your unwanted post.

Feel free to PM me any offers too as I am also in the market for a 1(ish)m pair (or 2m length) of not quite genuine Gucci but AAA replica mains cable, just to A/B against the ones I knock up myself and perhaps butcher them into new ones if proven worthy. There's most of a Missing Link Orbit disappearing into a hole in the box of my alleged deathtrap of a mains conditioner for example.

OK I have one mains cable thanks to @Emmings - I chose the 2m Puritan Audio Classic.

I could do with one or two more - maybe more Puritan to keep it all in the same family - and knowing that Puritan cables are flexible.

Thanks all once again.

Although we know that being sanctimonious was the purpose of your unwanted post.

All the 'magic' that happens inside all your audio equipment, or your PC happens using DC (direct current).

Your mains supply is AC (alternating current).

When AC arrives inside your box it is immediately converted into DC by means of a transformer and bridge rectifier, or SMPS into DC.

It is the quality of the DC transformation, (low noise or ripple) that affects the quality of what happens inside your box.

Though of course science and measurements have no place on this forum.

Good luck.

All the 'magic' that happens inside all your audio equipment, or your PC happens using DC (direct current).

Your mains supply is AC (alternating current).

When AC arrives inside your box it is immediately converted into DC by means of a transformer and bridge rectifier, or SMPS into DC.

It is the quality of the DC transformation, (low noise or ripple) that affects the quality of what happens inside your box.

Though of course science and measurements have no place on this forum.

Good luck.
So much wrong with this, i have no idea where to start.
You think your AC signal is a pure sinewave with no extraneous noise or DC offset at the point it hits the rectifier? Seems a bit idealistic. If you put a 'scope on a mains signal you would be shocked šŸ¤£ Your view isn't science buddy. Science involves having an open mind and investigating what is rather than unquestionable fixed ideas based on unproven ideology where alternatives should not be discussed. We have another word for that - religion.

Competent engineering knows that the incoming AC voltage will vary and be noisy, so it takes care of it whilst converting it to DC.

No matter what the last 1M of cable is, supplying it.

There is measured proof by the bucket load.

It is an easy task to see power supply noise on an audio output signal, (assuming you have the Ā£ 20/30K of kit to do so).

That kit also needs no special IEC cable to operate correctly.

So if you connect your oscilloscope via an 'audio' IEC cable it shows a cleaner sine wave with no DC offset ?

Competent engineering knows that the incoming AC voltage will vary and be noisy, so it takes care of it whilst converting it to DC.

No matter what the last 1M of cable is, supplying it.

There is measured proof by the bucket load.

It is an easy task to see power supply noise on an audio output signal, (assuming you have the Ā£ 20/30K of kit to do so).

That kit also needs no special IEC cable to operate correctly.

So if you connect your oscilloscope via an 'audio' IEC cable it shows a cleaner sine wave with no DC offset ?

I love everyoneā€™s concept that the power, having likely travelled miles to get to you, through a variety of materials and wires, via any number of jumper boxes, and then presented by a giant unshielded ā€œringā€ around your house, that the last 1m of this wire can make all the difference.

The very concept is beyond ludicrous and people need to have a word with themselves.

advertisement

Back