advertisement

Good phono-pre amp for Classical music with Nagaoka mp500

kazu

pfm Member
Now, I’m looking for upgrading my phono-pre amp (from REGA FONO MM MKII).
I much prefer Classical music on Vinyl!

Current My System
Nagaoka MP500(3mV Output) -> REGA RP6 -> REGA FONO MM MKMII -> Sugden A21 S2/Phono -> ProAc Tablette Anniversary

I’m very pleased if you give me good advice.

Regarding the comparison between REGA FONO and Sugden Phono stage in Sugden A21 S2 integrated, I feel better sounds from REGA FONO with Nagaoka MP500 than SUGDEN. So, now I am using REGA FONO.

Best Regards,
Kazu

you're welcome Kazu, before setting on Rega own's cable -pretty sure yours does a good job, too) giving me a good balance I tried a much more expensive one (more than the cost of unit in itself) which gave me an incredible deal of insight and 3D ,though comparison at the time was done with a crappy one but result was nonetheless jaw-dropping.
I rate the FONO a very good unit and pretty sure you've to spend a good sum to improve it, as far as I know better preamp are MM/MC and don't really know whether not using a good MC would give you much more sound money wise.
Unless you set on a EAR 864P.
I'd be curious to know what other people suggest there..

17679249893_45b2a11c6d_z.jpg" width="640" height="480" alt="EAR 834P listening Test

Now on 834p audition:)
Already, I was listening, unfortunately this amp is not with detail and no emotional for classical music.
I don't like it :roll eyes:

My budget is around $1500

Have you ever thought about synergy?
My Rega TT is long gone, but that worked great when I matched Rega carts.
Rega have a better unit, if you're into that .
Lehmann BC/PSU should be of your liking too, I guess.

Croft phono amps work well with the MP500 and for your budget you may not find a better phono stage new. Glenn could probably fine tune it to your cartridge as well
I am using a Croft 25R with my MP500 right now and its superb

I didn't like the Ear 834P either. I love my Brinkmann though, but they are rare as hens teeth.

I'm guessing it's not worth going mad with a phono stage when using a RP6.

THANKS ALL for good informations and kind words:)
I am vey happy.

How about Rega ARIA?

I didn't like the Ear 834P either. I love my Brinkmann though, but they are rare as hens teeth.

As the RP6 has no output to send to a phono stage you may very well be right. It would of course depend what cartridge was bolted to it.

rega RP6 has no output to send to a phono stage? :confused:

Then what are those male RCA plugs on the end of the arm leads ?

rega RP6 has no output to send to a phono stage? :confused:

Then what are those male RCA plugs on the end of the arm leads ?

they would be the arm cables, nothing comes out of them without a cart at the other end. Not a lot of point in matching a phono stage to a deck, much more sensible to match it to the cartridge.

Sorry, but a RP6 is more than capable of carrying a cart such as the DV20x2l, and much higher.The stage needs to match the cart, not the deck.

advertisement

Back