advertisement

Good News/Bad News

RichardH

Bodging pleb
GOOD NEWS! I had a photo featured in a national newspaper.

BAD NEWS! It was the Daily Mail.

I look after the website for Celtic Harmony - a local (and quite low key) iron age re-enactment type place (which is also where the archery club I belong to is based). The people who run it are friends of mine. They run regular festival days throughout the year, and are running a Primitive Skills festival there over the bank holiday, with flint knapping, rope making, drumming, whistle making, green woodwork, weaving, bread making, fire breathing demos... that sort of thing. Anyway, a journo from the Daily Fail got in touch with them saying they were going to feature the camp in a Bank Holiday "what to do" article, and did they have a hi res pic of the one on the website of the fire breather (which I had happened to take). They diud warn they may not use a photo at all.
So I went through my photos (I have taken quite a few there over the years - I think at one point half of their brochure shots were taken by me, and probably half of them featured members of my family ;) ), and found a better pic still, and sent them over.

I couldn't bring myself to buy the paper, but did (after donning latex gloves) riffle through it - yep - they printed it! (not my scan)

Just looked on the website, and it's there too in pride of place.

I feel dirty now.

and by tomorrow it will be at the bottom of millions of cat litter trays
not to belittle you - but that is the way it goes.

About 18 months ago several of my pictures were printed in the monthly Sky Magazine (approximately 9 million copies I believe) and by the next month they were being recycled and pulped .

I feel dirty now.

Blimey Richard don't publish it then!

Nah.... it was for my friends at Celtic Harmony's benefit, not mine. I don't mind really. I know that the only reason it was printed was to tie in with them, not because of the photo's qualities itself.

I hadn't thought about credits, and don't really mind - though had I thought it would be going on the website then I guess I should have at least got some sort of "all rights..." type thing.

Was chatting to the guy in the photo today, and he was saying someone (a semi pro) took another pic of him at the camp which almost looked like the flame ball was heart shaped, and it's been added to an image library - Sony have apparerently asked to use it, so he'll be getting a few quid from the photographer from it, which is nice for him.

How bizzare, i was at the festival yesterday as a friend lives close to the site.
Nice capture Richard.
I did have a go at the archery, all i can say its a good job we are no longer fighting off the Normons !

Ahh - you may have met me then - I was there as one of the archery club members teaching/assisting people (as well as running around taking pics off and on).

I'm around 6' 3", mid 40's and was wearing a green Celtic Harmony polo shirt. If you got talked at by "big John", then I can only apologise - he means well, but can get a bit enthusiastic.

Nice one !

Did you get any payment ?

I once had one of mine printed in Practical Photography and got a cheque for a tenner !

No payment. The guys at Celtic Harmony are friends, so I help out where I can - any photos of mine they can use then good for them.

Richard did you see two guy's with matching Canon outfits, that would be myself and my friend Kev. John did give us the benefit of his knowledge and a chance to handle his "big weapon" oo,er!

advertisement

Back