advertisement

Good Headphone Amplifier for M-DAC

SirBenn21

pfm Member
The Audiolab M-DAC has an admiral headphone amp, but I would like to get the best out of my headphones. In fact my primary use for the M-DAC is for headphone use.
The three I have my eye on at the moment is the Meier Audio Corda Classic, Woo Audio WA6 and the very expensive Leben CS-300XS Integrated Amp
Anyone have experience with headphone amps?

The headphones I have in mind are the following. Beyer T90, Beyer T1, Grado 1000GS, Alessandro MS-Pro

One other question I have. If you connect a amp to the M-DAC, would you set the amp to a pre-amp?

Thanks

EDIT: I would like to state that the M-DAC has a very capable headphone amp (for low to medium impedance) and not admiral as previously stated.

I have one of the "legendary" Audio Alchemy headphone amps, but I don't use it now, as the MDAC is simply better. Just because its primarily a DAC, don't assume the headphone amp is an afterthought. I'm sure you may find better, but whether the final quality is higher overall may be debatable. I'd certainly listen carefully before spending any money.

I agree that the MDAC's onboard headamp is pretty good, but it doesn't enjoy stiffer loads . . . if your chosen headphones are hard to drive, there's a better case for a dedicated, high power amplifier.

The Fostex TH900 is unusual in being fully competitive with anything short of the Stax SR009, but can be driven without tears by anything north of an iPod. They're well worth a listen: interesting to compare them with the Grado PS1000.

Amp-wise, I'd be happy to let you have a play with the Burson Soloist or Violectric V200, or (with a bit of notice) any of the Woo amps.

I agree that the MDAC's onboard headamp is pretty good, but it doesn't enjoy stiffer loads . . . if your chosen headphones are hard to drive, there's a better case for a dedicated, high power amplifier.

The Fostex TH900 is unusual in being fully competitive with anything short of the Stax SR009, but can be driven without tears by anything north of an iPod. They're well worth a listen: interesting to compare them with the Grado PS1000.

Amp-wise, I'd be happy to let you have a play with the Burson Soloist or Violectric V200, or (with a bit of notice) any of the Woo amps.

The Burson Soloist seems to pop up as a popular option. I actually had the opportunity to try the T1 & 1000GS on it a few weeks ago and all I can say is that is was a pretty good, especially the T1.
At the time I had never really heard of the Burson and was just there to try the headphones.

I suppose it depends on the headphone. The HD800s are meant to be a difficult load but sound just great with the MDAC. I daresay that if you throw money at it, you can find a better head amp, but the improvements might be quite marginal.

The Lake People G103 or 109 amps are excellent and superb value for money. This is the parent (pro) company of the Violectric brand.
I have been through all sorts of amps including the MDAC, Woo and Meier Corda before settling very happily on the G109.

The Lake People G103 or 109 amps are excellent and superb value for money. This is the parent (pro) company of the Violectric brand.
I have been through all sorts of amps including the MDAC, Woo and Meier Corda before settling very happily on the G109.

Which Woo Audio product did you try?

Thanks

I used the Woo WA3.

I also tried the following before settling on the G109 for use with Beyer T1's and Hifiman HE-4's:
Graham Slee Novo
NuForce Icon HDP
Naim Headline 2
Meier Arietta
Lovely Cube
Schiit Lyr

........ I daresay that if you throw money at it, you can find a better head amp, but the improvements might be quite marginal.

I agree, I've the "Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear" which is actually more expensive than the mdac, I found it only sound marginally better with vocals(soprano, baritone, tenor...etc), as to orchestral, solo instruments and pop music, I'll definitely switch back to mdac hp amp. The mdac's sq is generally thinner, less grand and colourful, but cleaner and less congested. :)

edited: but to be fair I doubt the connecting rca cables in between also play a part in overall sq, currently I use Atlas Equator Superior (1 mtr).

I wonder if anyone has something to share using the Fostex Th900 with mdac and any headphone amp, I'm interested in this Fostex very much. On the other hand, are there any other competitive close back cans (regardless of price) in the market this day? :)

I wonder if anyone has something to share using the Fostex Th900 with mdac and any headphone amp, I'm interested in this Fostex very much. On the other hand, are there any other competitive close back cans (regardless of price) in the market this day? :)

If you're interested, I can lend you a pair on a free home loan: after a week, you'll be telling people what to think of them, instead of asking!

The TH900 are the only closed-back headphone I can listen to without feeling profoundly depressed.

If you're interested, I can lend you a pair on a free home loan: after a week, you'll be telling people what to think of them, instead of asking!

The TH900 are the only closed-back headphone I can listen to without feeling profoundly depressed.

Cannot lend yours cos I'm in Asia, anyway thanks for your help. BTW, what would you say comparing TH900 to Denon D7000? Someone tells me they are of similar sound signature. :)

Some say . . . the TH900 is the headphone Fostex made better for themselves when they got bored of making it for Denon. We've two customers compare them directly and both greatly preferred the TH900, while noting the 'family resemblance'.

advertisement

Back