advertisement

Good General Purpose Pentax Lens

James / Cav and anyone interested, I have just done a wee comparison of some Nikkor zooms, Sony/Minolta Zooms and a Nikkor Prime - if I can borrow a Pentax from someone I could do the same with one of those too. Results so far are here

I own a K7, and the DA 21 mm / 3,2 AL Limited and DA* 16-50 mm / 2,8 ED AL lenses.

The zoom is quite big and bulky, but I appreciate the fact that it is weather-resistant, much like the K7 body. This makes for a great outdoor camera because on hikes you don't have to worry about your equipment surviving heavy rain etc - on hikes I was more than once happy that that was the case.

I know that the kit lens is also weather-resistant, but it doesn't have the 2.8 aperture of the DA* 16-50 mm. In retrospect however, I sometimes wonder if I would buy the DA* 16-50 mm again in a similar situation, I think the kit lens would probably be sufficient for me.

This brings me to the DA 21 mm, which I appreciate for being very small, thus making the whole camera relatively portable and inconspicuous (for a DSLR); and as some here on this thread, I also prefer shooting with prime lenses - before owning the Pentax, I used to shoot with a Ricoh GR Digital (28 mm equiv.), and before that, with a Nikon FM2 with a 35 mm lens. As you know, the DA 21 mm corresponds roughly to a 35 mm in full frame, which is my favourite focal length.

I am currently spending a few weeks in London and I have brought the K7 with the DA 21 mm with me (and left the zoom at home), and even though I have not used the camera for quite some time, I am rediscovering it again and enjoying it a lot - I do not miss the zoom at all.

Samuel.

If it's of any use/interest I have a couple of Pentax lenses sitting around doing nothing (35mm and 50mm). They 'belong' to a defunct Pentax SLR. Drop me a PM if interested.

Thanks Joe - I think I'm OK as you have made me realise I have a mate a few miles down the road with a K mount Pentax 35mm lens I can borrow.

Almost trashed a lens practicing "foot zoom" - it is best to check behind you sometimes. It is clearly a tricky skill requiring zen like mastery. Here is the obstacle...

5793694962_ba69bc2858.jpg

2 hour walk, no pictures of worth, lots learnt. Yellow belt in foot-zoom.

Thanks Joe - I think I'm OK as you have made me realise I have a mate a few miles down the road with a K mount Pentax 35mm lens I can borrow.

Almost trashed a lens practicing "foot zoom" - it is best to check behind you sometimes. It is clearly a tricky skill requiring zen like mastery. Here is the obstacle...

Start at the foothill end of your zoom range and always zoom in to fill frame ;-/

Having spent the day with the Sigma 50/1.4 I'm leaning towards primes again just for that speed and sharpness. Whilst I've been impressed by the 18-250 and the 16-45 I'm beginning to think that sharpness and detail are more important than ease of use. Might have to work harder on the composition but nothing wrong with that. One today with the 50.

No, it was a day out at Bramham horse trials. Had intended to do a dawn run to Ullswater but plans were scuppered by the mrs as apparently I had promised we 'd go...

Fox-Pitt - light was a bit flat so worked on the tones a wee bit.

advertisement

Back