advertisement

Good classical labels

I’m ploughing through the Ormandy/Philly Praga Digitals on Qubuz and they are mainly excellent performances and sonics.

Another label I really like is Ricercar for their Renaissance music. CD rather than SACD but superb production all round.

Some outstanding artists there -- Bor Zuljan and Bernard Foccroulle are particular favourites of mine, Odhecaton too.

Something very good has happened- the strangle hold that a handful of labels had for decades over artists and repertoire (essentially what you were permitted to hear)- has been broken. Certainly when I was young, you’d end up buying DG, Decca, EMI etc since they’d cornered the market. How many other brilliant rising artists and technicians were squeezed out by them?

I don't think that anyone has mentioned Chandos yet?

BIS, Channel Classics, Harmonia Mundi... yes, yes and yes! But Chandos are up there with them.

I don't think that anyone has mentioned Chandos yet?

BIS, Channel Classics, Harmonia Mundi... yes, yes and yes! But Chandos are up there with them.
Yes I’m sure many will recall Janson’s brilliant Tchaikovsky Symphonies with the Oslo Philharmonic on Chandos in the late 80s. Technically and artistically excellent.

advertisement

Back