advertisement

Good cassette player

I have a Nakamichi BX300E which I have for sale if anyone is interested in a good 3 headed cassette deck. It is in mint condition and boxed and photos are available for those interested.

I have a Denon 790R, a prof. model used by broadcasters, etc. They cost £499 plus VAT when new. I acquired two, kept one and sold the other. The buyer could not believe how good it was. I have made recordings from CDs and records and, frankly, cannot tell the difference. Yes, honestly...

I still have my Aiwa 1800. A very good machine. Needs a new drive belt as the original is past its sell by date.

Cheers,

DV

Sold mine to my bro.-in-law in the mid seventies. When it came out it was the bees' knees, but was very soon surpassed. Not very robust, either, which was a bit embarrassing for me.:(

I recently got a Sony Walkman-Pro, it is surprising good, both out and about and on the stereo is it.

Eats batteries though, so it needs a power supply there

DS

Nakamichi is the obvious choice - B&W do a great job repairing or in my case converting a CR-7A (US model) to UK configuration.

Revox, terrific machines although repairs can be costly, Brian Reeves in the greater Manchester area is a top notch technician and former Revox employee.

I see the Walkman Pro gets a mention and so it should, an excellent component which belies it's lowly status when compared to the aforementioned. It is very good in record and playback mode. An Italian guru - dottor walkman - can do amazing things with these machines at a price of course.

Which leaves us with:

Tandberg; from many accounts the best and most difficult to obtain parts for.

Arcam; the Arcam Delta 100 is a UK made component (maybe using Denon or Sanyo parts) and got good reviews, tend to be rare though.

Pioneer; many of the forum members at www.tapeheads.net use a CT-1250

Sony; the TC-KA7ES

Studer; the A710

T+A; German company who still or until recently manufactured cassette players.

and Aiwa, Denon, NEAL, Kyocera, Hitachi...

If you give it any credibility , there is an article on cassette decks in this months hifi news , it would seem a few of the above have read it , though those listed have probably increased in price by 30% by now .

advertisement

Back