advertisement

Goldring 1042

I come back to the G1042 time and time again because it has soul. Maybe it just sits right with my other components compared to my other cartridges.

It's a very good cartridge, I've had a couple of them. Not knocking it at all just not sure it would improve on what I have right now.

Quick question: I have a Linn Adikt which needs a new stylus. Am I right in thinking that for only a little bit extra a Goldring 1042 would be a better cartridge?

I have a Linn Adikt which needs a new stylus. Am I right in thinking that for only a little bit extra a Goldring 1042 would be a better cartridge?

Yes you would. The 1042 has a Gyger S stylus which is pretty high up the old stylus tree. Same as you'll find on the end of a 2M Black for instance. Does the adikt have a Gyger S? No, it does not. It has the same stylus as the cheaper 1012.

Be warned though that Gyger S is very fussy about alignment. You won't hear it at its best unless you take the time to really dial it in.

Thanks may give it a go, though I have a Nima which I find a bit fiddly to align at the best of times

Thanks may give it a go, though I have a Nima which I find a bit fiddly to align at the best of times

Do be fair, any stylus profile will work better if properly aligned, it's just that the better the profile the less you're going to get away with.

The two tools you need are a bubble level that sits over the spindle and a tiny one that sits on the headshell. At least the Nima has azimuth adjustment. A lot of modern arms don't.

With a sharp cut like the gyger S, I would really prefer to have the needle at 90° to the record surface
at all times.
Which to me is the one great advantage of a cardanic..and a few rare concepts like some moerch and blackbird.
The idea of an arm allowing for degrees of variation around the ta axis
has in consequence lead to a neeldetip doing light dancing moves to the left and right in the groove.
And I imagine the more a tip demands a precise setting, the less benign it may react to not
riding the grooves at exactly 90° at all times.

I know the Nima has a good reputation and I rarely ever heard anything bad about it,
also never heard one myself.

I really liked unis in the past, but since I understood the concept, the thought of the needle not properly
90° constantly and thus less than ideal tracking, it doesn't sit well with me..

It's not from experience, but with the above in mind, I may perhaps choose a Micro Line,
which is also excellent, but not the sharpest cut afaIk & may be more benign to light modulation moves in the groove.
That would be my pick...anything from AT95ML upwards..

Curious to what you pick & how it turns out..

advertisement

Back