advertisement

Going to the pub on Saturday?

All very predictable. I wonder if Saturday was chosen knowing this would happen so that lots of young people would pick up the virus increasing herd immunity.
Mind you I always tend to the view that it is usually cock up rather than conspiracy.

I think the reality is we are going to have to go back to society at some point. Little value in having a pop at people just because they are drunk
I don’t think it is because they are drunk, more because they are deliberately flouting measures that are designed to keep themselves and others well/alive. I don’t imagine for a moment that all the people in the pictures above are drunk.

^ why not part cock-up, part conspiracy ? The Conservative Covid Cock-Up Conspiracy. CCCC 2020 has a certain symmetry.

I think the reality is we are going to have to go back to society at some point. Little value in having a pop at people just because they are drunk

But that's the point. The more people at low risk ignore social distancing, the longer people at higher risk will have to stay home.

I reserve the right to have a pop at the thousands of people who piled into Soho to get plastered apparently happy in the knowledge that they could then pass on a lethal virus to a vulnerable person.

So as we expected, a mixed bag of results. Some behaved and some didn't. Apparently, people are less likely to adhere to social distancing rules when half-cut; I'm no expert but I don;t think it took a natinal experiment to prove that. :)

In other news, hundreds, if not thousands of people across the UK have been breaking social distancing rules away from pubs. Seems you don't always need a Government policy change to act like utter bell-ends.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-53119615
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-53047628
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53208632
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-53288489

But that's the point. The more people at low risk ignore social distancing, the longer people at higher risk will have to stay home.

I reserve the right to have a pop at the thousands of people who piled into Soho to get plastered apparently happy in the knowledge that they could then pass on a lethal virus to a vulnerable person.
So your proposal is we all stay in full lock down?

So your proposal is we all stay in full lock down?

So your implication is that the Scottish government have no idea what they're doing?

Anyone not drinking full time from the BoJo propaganda tap knows that if we'd gone into lockdown a couple of weeks earlier, thousands of lives would have been saved. So why shouldn't it be the case that keeping pubs shut for a while longer, as they're doing north of the border, would also be a good idea? Why does it have to be some binary freedom vs lockdown choice?

So your implication is that the Scottish government have no idea what they're doing?

Anyone not drinking full time from the BoJo propaganda tap knows that if we'd gone into lockdown a couple of weeks earlier, thousands of lives would have been saved. So why shouldn't it be the case that keeping pubs shut for a while longer, as they're doing north of the border, would also be a good idea? Why does it have to be some binary freedom vs lockdown choice?

these periods of time you mention are arbitrary. there is no evidence this is going away and people have to mingle so what do you propose? Another two weeks? Another month? Year?

It seems that those that bang on about this are fully paid up without mortgages. That’s great. For the rest of us shit needs to happen soon.

these periods of time you mention are arbitrary. there is no evidence this is going away and people have to mingle so what do you propose? Another two weeks? Another month? Year?

It seems that those that bang on about this are fully paid up without mortgages. That’s great. For the rest of us shit needs to happen soon.
Shit may well happen sooner than you would like.

But if, and only if, healthy young people are not vulnerable, then it would make sense to let them mingle more normally, but only if you also have a strategy for protecting those who remain vulnerable. So, build up to herd immunity in those elements of the community significantly less likely to be affected, while also shielding and testing the older and more vulnerable. Maintain lockdown for the elderly and infirm, and those vulnerable due to other underlying conditions, provide them with support (shopping, medicine deliveries, carefully socially distanced contact with friends and loved ones), test them regularly, while also testing the wider population to keep an eye on infection rates, percentage of population infected or with antibodies, etc.

You'd possibly be able to relax lockdown for a majority of people, and get many back to work, that way. Doesn't seem much like government strategy, though, and I'm left wondering why not. Is there something I'm missing?

I’m 42, incapable of working in my self-employed musician capacity because of the virus, and my other half is on minimum wage in a pub. Ill take no insinuations about being in an ivory tower, thanks.

The point is that the pubs reopening now is just as arbitrary as any other date - to think that other more cautious places like Scotland (reopening slated for the 15th) are somehow stupid or cowardly or don’t appreciate the plight of ‘real people’, or crucially aren’t guided by experts who know just as much about epidemiology as the politically compromised SAGE committee is ridiculous.

So if they’re advocating different measures, I want to know why. And if they have good reason to think that the extra days make a difference, we the public deserve to know about them. Ploughing ahead regardless is Trump logic, and it already cost us thousands of lives because of the initial lockdown delay.

I popped into the garden of our village pub to see my lot. Distancing had gone out of the window, everybody hugging and slobbering over each other. 5 minutes there was too long, and I wish I hadn't gone in view of the fact that I'm looking after my elderly mother.

My son and godson stayed too long, they were sitting chatting at the bottom of the garden and two young Australians (who it turned out had been hoofed from the pub) came over, asked for a cigarette. The next thing my son knew he was on the deck, having been thumped hard on the side of the head from behind. It turned into a full-on pub brawl, police called etc. Inevitable. A combination of twattery, machismo and beer. My son is 6'2". It seems that as he went down from the first clout he was caught by the other guy's fist coming in the other direction. He's a bit bruised, but fine, albeit bloody annoyed.

Jesus, those Manchester rave pics are insane. Ill be watching the local reported cases closely over the next 7-14 days.

I don’t mean to sound offensive.
I don’t mean to sound offensive either, but those who are ‘fully paid up without mortgages’ are likely - for reasons of age - to have most to lose (ie their lives) when this kicks off again, not those out boozing in Soho causing it to happen. Or is that great too, because they are just disposable boring old farts?

advertisement

Back