advertisement

Going headphones only..?

Barry123

pfm Member
So..
I have a CD only system comprising
Marantz CD80, Musical Fidelity Pre Amp3,
Linx Stratos Monoblocs and Monitor Audio R300MD’s
The CD and speakers/stands I’ve owned from new. None of the above has been serviced or upgraded.
Now the G/F hates it all so it isn’t used. We are moving later this year (Covid permitting) and I hope to get a room/area/garage that I can use as a listening room but realistically our budget will make this difficult and even if it does happen will probably need smaller speakers.
I listen a fair bit at the moment though the iPhone via Dragonfly Black and Grado SR80’s and the Black was a nice upgrade.
Question is, do I sell up, keeping the CDP and upgrading the headphones quite a bit and just listening though them for CD’s and thinking about streaming with quality SQ down the line?
Possibly going though a DAC? although the CD80 still has a lot of love for it I see.
The CD does have volume control for the headphone socket

You and the g/f, seriously that close to polar opposites on this?

It depends on your characters, you and g/f - I would strangle anyone who even hinted at nagging, my father used to and my brother does just let it wash over them, even find it almost amusing - same sort of thing.

Think on. Jez's comment may have been flippant, but if this grates long term...…………...

You and the g/f, seriously that close to polar opposites on this?

It depends on your characters, you and g/f - I would strangle anyone who even hinted at nagging, my father used to and my brother does just let it wash over them, even find it almost amusing - same sort of thing.

Think on. Jez's comment may have been flippant, but if this grates long term...…………...
She doesn’t nag, far from it and she’s a good ‘un
She just hates black boxes and cables..

What is it with women and hi fi? Don't worry, it's a rhetorical question.. which is all it ever could be as anyone who could answer any question that begins like that has a Nobel prize awaiting them!

Sell up for now and rethink later, headphones can be pretty satisfying.

My girlfriend never complained much about my stereo, even when I had a pair of 150L onkyo speakers, about 1,000 records and countless boxes in a 10'x12' living room. I guess I got lucky.

So..
I have a CD only system comprising
Marantz CD80, Musical Fidelity Pre Amp3,
Linx Stratos Monoblocs and Monitor Audio R300MD’s
The CD and speakers/stands I’ve owned from new. None of the above has been serviced or upgraded.
Now the G/F hates it all so it isn’t used. We are moving later this year (Covid permitting) and I hope to get a room/area/garage that I can use as a listening room but realistically our budget will make this difficult and even if it does happen will probably need smaller speakers.
I listen a fair bit at the moment though the iPhone via Dragonfly Black and Grado SR80’s and the Black was a nice upgrade.
Question is, do I sell up, keeping the CDP and upgrading the headphones quite a bit and just listening though them for CD’s and thinking about streaming with quality SQ down the line?
Possibly going though a DAC? although the CD80 still has a lot of love for it I see.
The CD does have volume control for the headphone socket
...headphones only may just open another 'can' of worms. Because you no longer disturb g/f with your music you may be tempted to play your hifi more often (maybe much more often, maybe too often). I'm sure you can guess the trouble this will cause.

Open backed or closed headphones? Either way how about one of the many all in one streamers? Neat small boxes should be very acceptable.

I think a headphone system is a mistake, rather antisocial & will lead to other problems. Active speakers & a dac is answer. Nice pair of ATC standmounts in a wood finish, balanced speaker cable is easy to hide.

Ultimately you cannot let the GF dictate, need some give & take.

Well I would downgrade my hifi ( midi system only) for a decent long term girlfriend.

Pretty lonely during lockdown:(

Never seem to meet women at hifi shows for some reason?

Now the G/F hates it all so it isn’t used.
Does she hate your music too?

If so, then I can't see any solution other than headphones - even if you have a separate room in the house - garden shed excepted, of course.

As a compromise treat yourself to a really decent headphone setup and you’ll be surprised at the quality. eg. Streamer - dac - headphone amp - headphones.(or CD player too)

advertisement

Back