advertisement

GoGo Penguin....

Fabulous outfit.

There are a few artists on the Gondwana label with the same kind of feel as gogo penguin, so worth a search. The recording quality is invariably excellent on that label too.

Enjoy

Yes, really good stuff, one of the best labels of today IMO. Try Hania Rani, Mammal Hands and Portico Quartet. For more conventional jazz Matthew Halsall, who IIRC owns the label.

PS I’d go as far as saying it was the best/most significant Manchester record label since Factory and in a similar way pretty much anything released on it is worth hearing. I can’t think of any recent record labels I’ve bought more records and CDs from over the past decade or so.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Just listened to hopopono out of curiosity (penguin name irritated me).. stunning.

I shall investigate. Hopefully it doesn't go supercool & 'mini beardy' though. Drumming's outstanding.

Fabulous outfit.

There are a few artists on the Gondwana label with the same kind of feel as gogo penguin, so worth a search. The recording quality is invariably excellent on that label too.

Enjoy
Totally new sound to me,never thought i would be engrossed so much in non vocal music so to speak.....

Yes, really good stuff, one of the best labels of today IMO. Try Hania Rani, Mammal Hands and Portico Quartet. For more conventional jazz Matthew Halsall, who IIRC owns the label.

PS I’d go as far as saying it was the best/most significant Manchester record label since Factory and in a similar way pretty much anything released on it is worth hearing. I can’t think of any recent record labels I’ve bought more records and CDs from over the past decade or so.
I will explore thanks Tony:)
GoGo penguin,Live from studio 2 abbey rd and 808 state..... Tremendous....

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Friends who met as students at the RNCM. They say their influences include EST, and you can hear that, especially in their earlier albums.

Gondwana artist Caoilfhionn (Keelin) Rose (and Durutti Column collaborator) is one of the best new artists of recent times:-

Just listened to hopopono out of curiosity (penguin name irritated me).. stunning.

I shall investigate. Hopefully it doesn't go supercool & 'mini beardy' though. Drumming's outstanding.
The original drummer left the band a year or so ago. He was a thing to behold live, incredibly tight. The newer drummer has a looser feel, at least from what I've seen/heard so far. This appears to be a direction of travel musically, which is no bad thing. I did find them a bit relentless, with not much space to breathe within songs

The original drummer left the band a year or so ago. He was a thing to behold live, incredibly tight. The newer drummer has a looser feel, at least from what I've seen/heard so far. This appears to be a direction of travel musically, which is no bad thing. I did find them a bit relentless, with not much space to breathe within songs

Yes I get this impression too- good word, relentless: I'm not sure if it might be the keys sounding like he's kinda locked into the same scale. Very effective music though but I think I'd need a break after 3 songs, cd or live. Might be one for a "hifi cd" (in the same vein as say Mark Holllis) for me. I get a lovely David Lynch vibe from the bass & a Tortoisy thing from the drums. I'll be buying a cd.

I like the Hania Rani too, Finnish? that's a guess. I can imagine perfect to have on in the cockpit of my Swan 36 cruising around the med, ideal ambient background music.

Capt

Yes I get this impression too- good word, relentless: I'm not sure if it might be the keys sounding like he's kinda locked into the same scale. Very effective music though but I think I'd need a break after 3 songs, cd or live. Might be one for a "hifi cd" (in the same vein as say Mark Holllis) for me. I get a lovely David Lynch vibe from the bass & a Tortoisy thing from the drums. I'll be buying a cd.

I like the Hania Rani too, Finnish? that's a guess. I can imagine perfect to have on in the cockpit of my Swan 36 cruising around the med, ideal ambient background music.

Capt
She's Polish. I'm with Tony, Gondwana is easily the label I've bought most stuff from over the past few years.

advertisement

Back