advertisement

Glue for album sleeves

John James

pfm Member
Like many on here, I buy quite a few second hand vinyl albums. Most are OK but a few have the glue dried up and the sleeve front split away from the back.

Can anyone recommend a suitable glue to repair the sleeves? I did try lighter fluid to see if that would soften the glue but that didn't work, well the fluid evaporated too fast!

I guess it is slightly complicated by having to stick a shiny surface to an absorbent surface.

Thanks.

I use a standard UHU type clear glue, works a treat and you'd never know it had been repaired. Just press the cover under a stack of LPs whilst it sets (with the record out).

PS Never, ever put sellotape anywhere near a LP sleeve.

Pritt/Tipex etc. produce 'mouse' glues (essentially a 4-5mm wide double sided tape) - I've not used them for this purpose, but it's probably a neater solution than standard glue sticks or tapes from a roll.

I bought some Bostik Glu & Fix and tried it on trashed sleeve, worked perfectly, other than I put a bit too much glue on so it over ran the join slightly and stuck the inside of the sleeve as well, thankfully it wasn't a sleeve I intended keeping!

Thanks for the help.

Mine's called Bostik Paper Glue. It's clear and comes in a cylinder with a felt pad for application. Works a treat ! Be sure to keep it stored with the pad downwards so it doesn't dry out.

For total safety and speedy fixing, COPYDEX is the stuff. Designed for card and photos, any excess simply rubs off, leaving no residue. Smells like fish, though !:(

As a ex artist copydex is the baby if you can be arsed with the dying time. PVA is a bad idea and overkill, bugger it up and it is unrecoverable once it has dried. Tony is dead on about bloody selotape. UHU is what I use not too permanent and little arsing about. Alternatively put some Evostick in a bag and breathe it in for a bit- then you don't mind about the sleeves being a bit tatty.

As a ex artist copydex is the baby if you can be arsed with the dying time.

I'm surprised ! When I glue an album cover together (on the seams) using Copydex and cramping with bulldog clips, the cover is ready to receive the record in 5 minutes at the outside.

I use a standard UHU type clear glue, works a treat and you'd never know it had been repaired. Just press the cover under a stack of LPs whilst it sets (with the record out).

+1. You can also sniff it and it doesn't smell of fish.

For total safety and speedy fixing, COPYDEX is the stuff. Designed for card and photos, any excess simply rubs off, leaving no residue. Smells like fish, though !:(

I thought only two things smelt of fish, one of them was fish but I am sure the other thing wasn't copydex. Looks like three things now!

Might have something to do with what the Copydex tube had been used for previously?

Holy mackerel ! I bought the tube from a good plaice, paid c.o.d. (on porpoise, of course) after asking the staff to fiilet. Maybe I'm herring things but I'm told I'm a dab hand at this; without being shellfish, naturally !

Coat, my, I'll and get.

Holy mackerel ! I bought the tube from a good plaice, paid c.o.d. (on porpoise, of course) after asking the staff to fiilet. Maybe I'm herring things but I'm told I'm a dab hand at this; without being shellfish, naturally !

Coat, my, I'll and get.

Brilliant!

I agree with what Tony says. There are various brands of lighter fluid. Some use different solvents. The one I use, 'Zippo', is naphtha. It will dissolve almost all the glues that I have used it on. Be careful to apply it outdoors. It is dangerous to inhale. You can squirt it on the area to be loosened and leave it to soak in for a few minutes. Zippo will not evaporate quickly enough to defeat its purpose here.

advertisement

Back