advertisement

Gledhill Pulsacoil heaters

hifinutt

hifinutt
Well i know zero about these water heaters . apparently they are made by a company called Gledhill in blackpool and have a sister company called Gledhill response . So this heater hasnt been used in some years so couldnt get any hot water from it so contacted Gledhill response yesterday on their site . NIL heard . Seems they use various engineers all over the country . Not impressed so far . what are the alternatives to gledhill ?

Apparently this place has ecomony 10 meters so has to be compatible with that meter so i am told
Economy 10 is a UK electricity plan that can help you pay less for your electricity. Basically, you pay normal prices most of the time, but cheaper rates during other “off-peak” times. These off-peak times are set by the energy supplier, and spread across the day and night.

Altogether, the off-peak hours offered with an Economy 10 plan add up to 10 hours during each 24-hour period – which is why this plan is known as Economy 10.

. Any thoughts on this ? its a retirement complex so any improvements have to get the permission of the managing agents

https://www.gledhill.net/

gledhill pulsacoil heater by https://www.flickr.com/photos/158267783@N02/, on Flickr

As per my post in the price of electricity thread, I would be checking the actual costs of the 'lower priced electricity' V what they charge you at full rate. It needs to be gone into VERY carefully, as in our case, we would have ended up paying more overall for what we would be using at night.
I think many are undergoing big changes here as well (see octopus)
Its a veritable minefield out there, and zero clarity given by anyone or government for now.

. Any thoughts on this ?

Well the good news is that it is a product that appears to still be in production. Gledhill are a pretty large outfit. They post a contact number of 01253 474550 so I'd give them a ring.

There weren't that many suppliers provided E10 in the past, certainly less available than E7 which we used to be on when we first moved up here to Aberdeenshire.

I have no idea if anybody is offering anything close to E10 currently. This web site is clearly out of date but may give you some pointers:- https://economy10.com/list-of-suppliers/

Regards

Richard

As per my post in the price of electricity thread, I would be checking the actual costs of the 'lower priced electricity' V what they charge you at full rate. It needs to be gone into VERY carefully, as in our case, we would have ended up paying more overall for what we would be using at night.
I think many are undergoing big changes here as well (see octopus)
Its a veritable minefield out there, and zero clarity given by anyone or government for now.

thanks steve
not too worried about that . just want some decent and reliable . I recall which recommending heatrae at one point but gledhill seem pretty big

Well the good news is that it is a product that appears to still be in production. Gledhill are a pretty large outfit. They post a contact number of 01253 474550 so I'd give them a ring.

There weren't that many suppliers provided E10 in the past, certainly less available than E7 which we used to be on when we first moved up here to Aberdeenshire.

I have no idea if anybody is offering anything close to E10 currently. This web site is clearly out of date but may give you some pointers:- https://economy10.com/list-of-suppliers/

Regards

Richard

Thanks richard
yes i did ring them a week ago. seemed a bit dipsy . contacted their sister company but no reply. there are it seems major installers of gledhill in brum .but wondered about other brands

the lace has had economy 10 ever since it was built . i havnt a clue but sure most types of these heaters would be compatible with e10 meters wouldnt they ?

I suppose those ones that have water on demand wouldnt be but this is a big one with a top tank

Hi Phil (?).

I know a fair bit about the earlier Gledhill Products when it was family-owned and still occasionally see Paul Gledhill (son of the one of the founders).
It was sold to GA around 2015.

That's a Pulsacoil 2000 which is a hot water only thermal store.
If it's been sat unpowered for 2 years then it might just be a seized (Grunfos) pump.
They will not take kindly to be sat for that length of time due to the bearings.
The impellor shaft can be accessed by removing the big chrome screw cap in the centre of the pump (power off of course).
A decent quality 4mm straight blade screwdriver will engage with a slot in the impellor shaft - work it anti/clockwise.
If it's really seized then any reasonable heating engineer should be able to strip/replace it.

There are a few other possible issues, but any problems send a PM and I'll try and help.

Regards Dave.

Last edited:
Dave you are an absolute star .thanks . Yes i was thinking it cant have done it much use to be unused for so long

well had 2 quotes to replace this old pulsacoil with a new gledhill 180 litre heater . one at 1900 quid and one at 3700 . the latter wanted the entire amount in advance which i thought was a bit naughty !!!

advertisement

Back