Very Special Guest TBC
Manu Chao
the Raconteurs
James Blunt
Crowded House
Seasick Steve
the Hold Steady
Shakin' Stevens

Apart from Shakin' Stevens, would anyone pay a fiver to see that lot?

Very Special have been re-writing the trip-hop rules all over North America this winter, and if they have queen of pop TBC as guest vocal - who could argue with that?

I'd love to see Manu Chao, and the chance to see Seasick Steve again rather appeals too... Anyway, I've never been to Glastonbury and I'm not going this year either so I guess it's irrelevant :)

Seasick Steve is a good busker but boring after one song & Raconteurs average std indie band. Rest appalling. You'd have to pay ME to go to that.

I don't think I could even summon up the energy to watch it on telly this year.

Except for Seasick Steve for a bit.

DS

Seasick and The Raconteurs are fine.

I've never seen Crowded House and wouldn't mind catching them a couple of decades late.

I've given up going to Glastonbury though.

Jack

Very Special Guest TBC
Manu Chao
the Raconteurs
Crowded House
Shakin' Stevens

That lot'll do, but Jay-Z - PAHlease! And James very-private-part-of-female-anatomy can kiss my arse, even if he can fly a helicopter.

Manu Chao'll be ACE though - I'll be there with my bottle of red wine and my umbrella for that one ;)

Think they'll have trouble shifting tickets for that line-up.

Nothing really catches the imagination there but then again I'm a Nick Cave fan. :cool:

J

I've never seen Crowded House and wouldn't mind catching them a couple of decades late.
I saw them at Wembley Arena in December, and they were excellent. They also cut the concert to a double CD, and I was listening to it just yesterday.

Can't say I'd want to see any of the others there though. Seasick Steve was OK on Later, but not worth camping in a field for.

It was inevitable that it would become boringly mainstream after the BBC moved in. It's nothing more that a grown-up Summertime Special. The BBC did exactly the same to Knebworth and it's a shame that Michael Eavis has been seduced by the fame and stardom that the BBC connection has brought him, but he has, and as a hardcore music festival it's pretty much finished and has been for years.
Thank goodness Reading retains its rough edge.

Thank goodness Reading retains its rough edge.

Reading'98 was my first festival - opinions were mixed. However, went to 2006 in lieu of Glasto and it was really chilled out! Very surprised... Slayer and Pearl Jam were ace :)

I agree re Glasto/BBC though - was better under CH4.

I like Jay-Z, but I wouldn't camp in a field to hear him.

If he was playing in my backgarden I wouldn't open the curtains. :(

As ever the weakness of the current music scene is clearly evident in the barometer that is the Glastonbury Saturday lineup.

Jonathan

'You call Glastonbury "Glasto".
You'd like to go there one day.
When they've put up the gun-towers,
To Keep the hippies away.'

-Half Man Half Biscuit, CORGI Registered Friends

I'm sure it's cyclical. For a bit it will be "sold out", "un-hip", "tired", "yuppie" or whatever - go downhill for a while - then a new wave of musicians will go there in a few years and turn it from being staid to cool, metrosexual media types can run glossy magazine pieces "GLASTO BLASTO - Glastonbury bounces back with newcoolband and the latest from the loudisthenewquiet coolUK sound" and all will be well for a couple of years. Then newcoolband will split with an album that goes nowhere and the lead singer in prison for owning and reading a copy of 1984 (you can do one of own or read - but not both - under the 2013 Anti-Terror Homeland Insecurity Act when the reading of anything that might make you think the state could be up to no good is discouraged) - - the new sound is replaced by the newnew sound and Glasto is just a sea of uninviting and very un-hip mud again, until...

Seasick Steve is a good busker but boring after one song & Raconteurs average std indie band. Rest appalling. You'd have to pay ME to go to that.

Hmm, If it was a choice of pay or you have to, I'd pay a Tenner NOT to see James Blunt or Shakin Stevens ... however to describe the mightee Raconteurs as an average std indie band, could I'm afraid only come from the keyboard of someone who has never seen them :) Trust me, they are pretty damn good.

Glastonbury has been a bit wrong ever since they put up the superfence and made it safe and cosy for middle classed Mum's and Dad's with children. Not that there's anything wrong with middle classed Mum's and Dad's with children (much anyway), but Glastonbury hasn't been the same since is all.

Glastonbury has been a bit wrong ever since they put up the superfence and made it safe and cosy for middle classed Mum's and Dad's with children. Not that there's anything wrong with middle classed Mum's and Dad's with children (much anyway), but Glastonbury hasn't been the same since is all.

The Mumsies and Dadsies with their gurgling Bratsies are best catered for at WOMAD. They can piss off there. Its not far off either.

There's a load more to Glastonbury than just boring old crap yuppie ****stain guardian-approved music. There's oh... face painting workshops (where you too can watch grown men prance around on dope saying "look at meeee I am a tigerrr"), then there's drumming circles that go on until 4:00am (in time for the birds to wake you up), you can stroll around in a semi-sleep deprived daze with a pair of bent coat hangers to determine where the leylines converge and then take a piss (very electrifying), there's usually some open air badly acted earnest "minimalist" Shakespeare in the Theatre fields and clowning about in the Circus fields ("look at meeee I am a tigerrr that can juggle!"); you could commune with your fuzzy shamanic animal alter ego in the Field of Avalon and discover the healing power of crystals or have your chakra realigned in the Tipi Field (or at least try to get off with some enormous earth mother becoming one with the mud), then there is the Sacred Space where you will always find a semi naked Dijeridoo player or the modern stone circle to commune with. Eco nuts can shower in the Solar Showers and apply for a Straw Bale housebuilding course run by a bunch of earnest lesbians and become hemp wearing eco-vegan or buddhist -- or both.

...all in all a lot more fun than enduring the usual shite dross that play there, but then so is driving nails into ones palms (usually down at the Industrial Fluorescent Jesus-with-testicle piercings reenactment party amidst the portaloos).

Music at Glastonbury? Can't say I've heard much...

A mate ran the Youth Hostel in Street. He used to say of Glastonbury town (all year round) - "I can get superb drugs, joss sticks, weeping Buddha, orange robes, clogs, yashmaks, llama, prayer beads, mandala, moccasins and many other bits of hippy paraphernalia - but just try finding an ordinary loaf of bread in that diabolical lean-to of a town and you can forget it. I drive to Wells."

advertisement

Back