advertisement

Glasto 2024

The Idles currently blowing me away. Never heard of them before, but any band who can get the whole of Glastonbury to chant “f*ck the king.”

I’m their new number one fan.

Worth researching them, they are the real deal. As an example Joe Talbot (voc) pressed the ashes of his late mother into a limited pressing of their first album (Discogs). Politically they are highly articulate and spot-on.

Stonking set! Still bouncing here!
Can't see much of it making it to iPlayer though!
There may have been a reference to Dua Lipa somewhere in there...!?

Give me passion and talent over marketing evey time..

Just flipped to Fontaines DC...never heard them before....but liking it.

Worth researching them, they are the real deal. As an example Joe Talbot (voc) pressed the ashes of his late mother into a limited pressing of their first album (Discogs). Politically they are highly articulate and spot-on.
Not since my teenage years of The Pop Group, Rip Rig & Panic, Pigbag and The Gang Of Four have I been so bowled over by such a glorious, revolutionary racket. F*cking mind expanding, and they’d completely sailed under my radar until tonight. I will certainly explore further.

Yes and for anyone not paying attention, where on earth have you been all this time?;)
They certainly made that lad 'Flynn's' night tonight pulling him up onto the stage....He looked absolutely stoked bless him.

The singer for Idles seems like an absolute tool. Standard shouty rock.

Dua Lipa bland, but the shots of the crowd 100% justify the headlining. Lots of under 20’s looking rapturously at the stage and singing along. That’s what it should be about, no?

Predictably enough for my age and demographic, LCD were incredible. Surely ‘Losing My Edge’ is the anthem of record-collecting men of a certain age. I need to see them live soon.

Rambling thoughts

I really like the idea of Idles, their ideas, performance and approach - but find them quite hard to listen to. It seems strangely testosterone fuelled for such a politically informed band, even if one of them does wear a dress. I want to find an all female version of the Idles.

My fave moment from yesterday's broadcast was pure nostalgia - seeing Dexy's doing "What's She Like" and Kev's fabulous clothes.

I enjoyed Dua Lipa's set from the point of view of a cultural tourist. While I was watching I was reflecting on the fact that much of our favourite music on pfm (at least before doing the correct thing and discovering jazz) was made by musicians in their teens or 20s for people in their teens or 20s and that was exactly what Dua Lipa was doing. I remember, aged 18, seeing Dylan at Blackbush, my only festival type experience, and thinking her was really old. He'd have been 36 at the time.

I was also reflecting that I'm glad the inernet didnt exist when I was a kid. I was imagining my dad ( or my grandad as I am one) and his mates as proto Beatos, taking up bandwidth discussing the merits of the music I like. There may be a great novel to write set in a parallel 1960s where social media had been developed at the same time as the atom bomb.

I really like the idea of Idles, their ideas, performance and approach - but find them quite hard to listen to. It seems strangely testosterone fuelled for such a politically informed band, even if one of them does wear a dress. I want to find an all female version of the Idles.

I spent a fair bit of the ‘80 liking US hardcore bands e.g. Hüsker Dü, Mudhoney, Dinosaur Jr, Sonic Youth, Fugazi, Minutemen etc so from a live perspective it doesn’t seem too alien and there is a long linage of very aggressive yet highly intelligent political/protest music in this genre e.g. Dead Kennedys, Black Flag etc. I have nothing by Idles on record (I need to check them out), I’ve just really enjoyed the live sets I’ve seen to the extent I researched their back story; Joe Talbot’s life as a carer for his post-stroke ex-NHS mother, how that understanding has forged the band’s politics etc. I’ve nothing but respect for them. They have channelled anger into an intensely positive force. They really knocked it out of the park yesterday.

PS Looking forward to Yard Act and Little Simz today, they should both have some stuff to say!

advertisement

Back