advertisement

Glasto

daytona600

b79daf31aa5fcc6fd2746cbdb9a9d0f6cb843e33.webp

BB1jTr04.img

Refreshingly dad-rock-free for a change (the real one, not the AI nonsense!).

PS Looking forward to Little Simz, SZA, Yard Act and Last Dinner Party, and a few others. Not much/any jazz, which is a shame, unless I’m just not seeing it.

Lots of names I don't recognise (being a dad)....which might be a good thing.

TBH there's only a couple of 'headlliners' I'd be interested in - LCD Soundsystem (who I thought called it a day years ago) and BBC. Probably Nothing but Thieves, Nitin Sawhney.

Will be interesting to see how Faithless get on without Maxi Jazz?

It's a pretty dismal line-up. When you have the abysmal Coldplay for a fifth time you should call it a day and give the farm back to the livestock for a year. LCD, Michael Kiwanuka, Janelle Monae, Justice, Black Pumas and Lankum, but that's it for me.

I'd take three days of dad rock over this dire list any time.

Terrible line up this year. Even my kids prefer my Dad rock. It’s nothing to be proud of to highlight Coldplay as 5 time head liners. I’m sure it will be great if you’re there.

There is a bit of what I like and a bit of what I'm not bothered about; not worth the entrance fee on balance.

As others have said a pretty dismal line up but I'm not target audience really. There are about 10 I'd go to see but if I'd paid the money it costs upfront without knowing who was playing I'd now be pretty annoyed and looking to move my tickets on...

How do you know? There are 37 acts on the five main stages I’ve either never heard of or don’t know what they sound like. I’m betting no one above knows every act.

How do you know? There are 37 acts on the five main stages I’ve either never heard of or don’t know what they sound like. I’m betting no one above knows every act.
Isn't that the best bit about a festival? Wandering into a tent and discovering your new favourite band you'd never heard of before?

To my eyes it represents a very slight step back towards what Glastonbury was, and IMHO should be, in that it is mainly platforming current music. Back when Hawkwind, T. Rex, Led Zeppelin, Bowie etc played when it started it wasn’t full of pensioner-age rock ‘n’ roll or music hall acts, it was the cutting edge music of its time. The whole 80 year olds strutting around on stage playing 50 year old music thing is comparatively new/a new cash-in. I find that extraordinarily boring and red-button-hop my hardest to avoid it. It should be a sharp new music festival that alienates parents just the way it did in the 1970s IMO. I’m not saying this line-up fixes that, Coleslaw being so high up negates that to a large degree, but I’m seeing less pensioners blocking opportunities for younger bands.

That was my first thought too. Though we've not had an album from any of the big hitters for a while so it maybe no one from that scene has product to promote at the mo?

Hania Rani, Matthew Halsall, Yussef Dayes, Kokoroko, Makaya McCraven, Irreversible Entanglements all spring instantly to mind, and Kamasi Washington has a new album on the way too. There’s loads of stuff out there. Putting Ezra Collective back on again in a better later slot would work too. Their album was very widely liked.

To my eyes it represents a very slight step back towards what Glastonbury was, and IMHO should be, in that it is mainly platforming current music. Back when Hawkwind, T. Rex, Led Zeppelin, Bowie etc played when it started it wasn’t full of pensioner-age rock ‘n’ roll or music hall acts, it was the cutting edge music of its time. The whole 80 year olds strutting around on stage playing 50 year old music thing is comparatively new/a new cash-in.
I'm just trying to imagine a 1973 Glasto where the headliners had their big hits 50 years earlier in 1923.

Billy Cotton was dead by then so I guess it would be down to Ambrose and his Orchestra to bring the good times.

Totally agree with the need to get away from having The Who or The Stones or whatever but having Dua Lipa headline is the equivalent of having the Bay City Rollers headline Glasto over Hawkwind or Dollar in 1980 over say The Specials. I mean I like a couple of her songs - Levitating springs to mind - but if that's where the cutting edge lies then we are at a sorry pass...

advertisement

Back