advertisement

Giddy Sky At Night

2ManyBoxes

pfm Member
The Sky At Night program last night was about the discovery of phosphene in the high atmosphere of Venus. They say that they currently can't think of a way that the gas could be produced other than by living organisms in the amounts that they're seeing.

Venus is a hell planet at the surface because of high temperatures and pressure and sulphuric acid instead of water falling as rain.

What got me about the program was the obvious only just suppressed excitement of everyone. The presenter's eyes seemed to be popping out of his head. Of the 4 scientists involved one was a jolly, giggly woman, another a drop dead gorgeous woman who had died her hair blue and was wearing blue lipstick, the third kept breaking out into song accompanied by his very skilful guitar playing and the last was the most normal, but he was obviously suppressing himself from jumping up and down like a 4 year old. Giddy wasn't in it.

They were even talking about a mission to Venus to scoop up some of the atmosphere.

If you go to the BBC website and search for 'Life on Venus' it'll come up as a YouTube video.

Hopefully it won't get immediately debunked by some clever chemist but they did seem to have done a lot of checking themselves. I'm surprised that it hasn't created more of a stir.

There's this thread https://pinkfishmedia.net/forum/threads/is-there-life-on-venus.245777/ but the possible discovery of extraterrestrial life isn't of too much interest it seems.

I thought it was great to see them genuinely excited. Chris Lintott could barely contain himself. Maybe that's why Maggie didn't get the gig as she'd have spontaneously combusted?

I guess after the Martian rock squiggle creature it's a case of crying wolf. That's also probably why they've done so much checking.

Yes, with Maggie it could have easily got messy. Tears, squeezing people to death with bear hugs, non-stop girly squeals...

Love Maggie. Always thought she was the perfect eccentric replacement for Sir Patrick Moore. Biscuit man s right though one day she may well combust !

This really is an amazing discovery. The jury's still out obviously, but I have to admit that Venus is the last planet — well, after Mercury — where I'd expect we'd find extraterrestrial life in the Solar System. I've discounted Pluto because it's no longer a member of the planetary club.

Maybe J.B.S Haldane and Arthur Eddington were right — The universe is not only stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine.

Joe

advertisement

Back