advertisement

Getting speaker grills recovered

GruntPuppy

pfm Member
I don't know how things are in other areas of the country, but it seems that the upholstery mob around Cardiff are making a fortune. The only one that would even consider stapling on fresh fabric for me onto my subwoofer grilles wanted £25 for, in his own words "only 10 minutes work". Per sub grille. Did I mention that I've got the grilles stripped of the old fabric and all staples removed, and I've got the fabric to do the covering?

I think I'm going to be doing this myself, then. I've got a heavy duty stapler ready, the primer and black paint to refinish the mdf are on order (the previous fabric was white, the new is black, and the mdf is unfinished, and will show through black fabric I think).

Time to watch a few youtube videos...

I'm sure you'll do a better job yourself. I think you need to take care or find out how best to fold the corners. Also ensure the fabric threads or cuts are same on both grills... In case you can see any difference from a distance or in certain lighting angles.

There are definitely YouTube videos as it is a common thing to do to vintage guitar amps etc. I remember watching quite a few before doing both pairs of old Tannoy cabs that preceded my Lockwoods.

3328932076_9569305039_c.jpg

These were by far the hardest as the frames (which I’d not made) were real wood and didn’t have perfectly square and flat edges, there were a couple of knots etc, plus there was a texture in the cloth that needed to run square to look right. The key thing I learned was to go slowly, to keep checking, and to have a good staple-puller (my gun came with one) so you can undo and correct errors.

advertisement

Back