advertisement

Getting out of HIFI !

tomek

pfm Member
So, after the thread "getting out of Naim" lets go out of HIFI.

After a long brake few years ago i started to go (sometimes very frequently) to good concerts of classical music.

When you listen to some greater orchestral works, you will have no doubts, that there is no system on earth you can buy for any money which can reproduce a good orchestra

The difference is so huge, all this hifi gear is becoming so ridicolous, just peanuts :)

Don't spent to much money on hifi gear, go and listen to the real music !!!

Well most recordings aren't of live concerts so I don't think the job of a Hi-Fi is to try and reproduce live music.

I quite often go to good concerts of classical music. And sometimes I think I prefer the experience at home.

I think that I'd like my hifi to make a pretty good reproduction of Horslips, Live in Belfast 1980", when I put the record on and if it won't then it's not much cop, is it? Fortunately it does, otherwise it would quickly be for sale.

After a long brake few years ago i started to go (sometimes very frequently) to good concerts of classical music.

When you listen to some greater orchestral works, you will have no doubts, that there is no system on earth you can buy for any money which can reproduce a good orchestra

The difference is so huge, all this hifi gear is becoming so ridicolous, just peanuts :)

Well done!

I left hifi for five years and loved every minute I was away. As mentioned earlier, the difference between a live concert with unmiked acoustic instruments totally makes a joke out of the best hifis. The only problem I ran into was choice-what I wanted to hear and when I wanted to hear it. I ended up buying another hifi;-)

I like what you're getting at. A few questions/comments -

Define too much money. $100 may be far harder to come by to me than to the next guy, and vice-versa.

The difference between hifi and live music is great. I can't see hifi coming close to live music for the forseeable future - recording and production quality/techniques are a long way from perfect. The gear that records it, and the space it's recorded in are most likely imperfect too. Then there's our gear, our room, our set up within that room.

But with all these obstacles to overcome, how is it that we enjoy what we have?

Why give it all up? I may never be able to see some of my favorite artists live. Some are dead and many have been dead since before I was born. Should I not enjoy listening to them in a way that sounds far better than a ghetto blaster?

Like the vinyl vs digital debate, my answer to live music vs hifi - why choose one over the other, when we can have both. No need to ditch the hifi.

Tomek, I can relate to what you are saying, but sometimes after work all I want to do is relax and listen to some tunes. Its an effort to go out.

Louballoo

Don't spent to much money on hifi gear, go and listen to the real music !!![/QUOTE]

Thee is nothing to stop you doing both?

Thee is nothing to stop you doing both?

I love music and i love hifi, so i just have to find a right proportion and hifi is the only way to meet Miles Davis or Jasha Heifetz.

And we all want to meet our beloved muscians/composers in good sound quality ;)

Probably the middle way is the best solution :)

I'm the most enthusiastic concert-goer that I know but after long days at work I felt easily disinclined to chase 20 miles home then after a quick change and meal back to Sheffield for a concert - straight from work just doesn't work for us.
However, just like some people walk in and turn on the telly, on goes the music at ours.
It costs a lot of money to get even near the scale of live music (solo piano is a particular favourite of mine) but, as has been stated already, the live event is only part of the story. If you can replicate a string quartet or solo voice (e.g.) you're about as near as you can get IMV. I have a few Rites of Spring and the scale can't come close to a live rendition but my recorded copies are played excellently every time and the most important thing is that I enjoy them immensely. That's more than can be said for some of the stolid performances I've paid £30+ for the doubtful privilege of seeing.

Sat in the Royal Albert Hall on Sundy night for the Classic Carol Concert, 3 rows back from the Cello/bass'. Wow more than 100 in the choir. Lifting the hair on the back of heads! Absolutely magnificent does not even come close.
Then on Monday still in musical mode played a little Miles, Handel, Steely Dan.
Its nice to have both, but for me live is always more of an occasion.
One tends not to dress for recorded music.

That's a great idea - I'll just hire all of the bands in the world to sit on my bookshelf and I'll tell whichever one I want to listen to to get set up and start playing in 10 seconds flat.

Hmmm - it won't work will it?

Actually, my hi-fi sounds a lot better than many bands I've been to see.

Chaps

The secret of hifi is to be content with what you have got and to stop swapping kit around.

I have two Naim systems, I can live with both and I use them a lot.

To me, life without Hifi and music would be terminally dull.

Regards

Mick

Once a week or so I, or one of my friends will host a hifi evening and we will all go round, take a bottle of wine and usually a bit of kit and some music and "play hifi" for the evening. We can all give our opinions on the sound and through this highly enjoyable process we have all ended up with excellent sounding systems that we are constantly honing whilst enjoying the company and the banter. Many of the results of these evenings find their way onto pfm threads but are usually pointedly ignored by most people, which is fine by us, and a source of amusement. We all like live music but none of us would give up our hifi as the group has known each other for many years and there are new people who join us from time to time. Two people from the DIY room are now regulars and have brought valuable experience with them which we all appreciate.
Long Live HiFi!

advertisement

Back