advertisement

Getting my trusty Rega Planar 3 back out of storage, Advice?

tomh

Really not all that into hifi
Hi All, I have a mid 90s vintage Rega Planar 3 that been boxed up and unused for about 10 years, and I'm looking for some advice as to what (if anything) might need doing to get it back and working. Is the bearing likely to be OK? Will it need some oil?

It's got a approx 25 year old DNM cartridge on it (IIRC based on a Goldring 1042), is there any chance this will still be good and what's the best way to check? (it wasn't heavily used even when it wasn't in the box).

Cheers Guys, any advice much appreciated.

If it sounds right it is right. Get a cheap record and out it on if everything seems 'right'.

It should come up to speed quite quickly from standing - about 5 seconds tops.

If it starts up and plays ok perhaps just change the oil. If you have slow start up or slowing down it could need a new belt.

From recent experience my friend had an old Rega Planar 3 that slowed down after 30mins. After changing the rubber belt and putting a new capacitor and resistor thought I had fixed it but still slowed down. Eventually found that the pulley was becoming loose on the metal spindle after playing a record. Used a small drop of Loctite superglue as recommended on side of spindle not the top reaffixed pulley and everything ok. Platter now gets up to speed within a few seconds and works ok.
So if you do have a slow platter start or it slows after playing a record check the pulley first.

I suspect the belt needs replacing, it's got a bit of a gentle kink in it from sitting in the same position for ages. It works but replacements seem pretty reasonably priced.

But it seems to start and run fine, haven't played a record yet, need to make a space for it on the rack first

I suspect the belt needs replacing, it's got a bit of a gentle kink in it from sitting in the same position for ages. It works but replacements seem pretty reasonably priced.

But it seems to start and run fine, haven't played a record yet, need to make a space for it on the rack first
As long as the deck has been sitting right side up during those 10 years of storage, and the sub-platter ('hub' in Rega-speak) hasn't been fully removed from the bearing well at any time, then the existing bearing lube will be fine. The simple 'official' bearing lube test is to remove the glass platter and belt and then lift the hub up no more than 2cm whilst observing the spindle for the presence of oil. Oil on the spindle means good to go.

It's got a approx 25 year old DNM cartridge on it (IIRC based on a Goldring 1042), is there any chance this will still be good
You'll never know before trying out,
Is there tracking problems I'd give it a new stylus.
Problem is they are pricey.
On the cheapskate a VM95C can be a good start at coffee money.

Stick a 1042 stylus on the DNM and be happy.

New belt (white I think is the upgrade) and fresh oil. Enjoy.

As long as the deck has been sitting right side up during those 10 years of storage, and the sub-platter ('hub' in Rega-speak) hasn't been fully removed from the bearing well at any time, then the existing bearing lube will be fine. The simple 'official' bearing lube test is to remove the glass platter and belt and then lift the hub up no more than 2cm whilst observing the spindle for the presence of oil. Oil on the spindle means good to go.
Thanks. Yep it was stored the right way up, and with the glass platter off it. The sub platter hub seems to still have a very thin layer of oil on it and feels like it wants to spring back when pulled out (presumably the bearing housing is airtight?). Spins freely seems to all be good.

If you've pulled the sub-platter/spindle right out you have no choice but to re-oil it. If you only pulled it up a few centimeters it should be fine and not need anything doing.

Rega bearings are designed to be oiled for life and never need to be touched. The bearing well is not full of oil as most are. Instead it has a thin layer of thick gear oil applied to the spindle at the factory and if you pull the spindle out you will push most of it off.

If you need to, clean the well out, clean off the spindle and replace the oil. Two drops of the correct gear oil applied as per the instructions.

If the deck runs ok after that you're good. The caps can fail in the PSU but pennies to replace. The belt can stretch but if it works it's fine. If the cartridge was ok when the deck was packed away it should still be ok.

Didn’t pull the spindle right off, just pulled it up by about 1cm, and it seemed to spring back in nicely.

It’s sounding pretty damn fine right now.

Thanks everyone for the help, much appreciated.

advertisement

Back