advertisement

Getting most out of my Linn Axis?

Yes. It had a design fault in that power cycling could make it start spontaneously. If it then kept running all of the day it would slowly cook itself. And potentially more than itself.

I always disconnected mine from the mains when not actually playing a record. The OP better do the same.
I have the same problem in that if switched off at the wall then back on again the turntable will start spinning at 45rpm. Also if i listen to records for around an hour or so the heat-sink at the back of the axis gets very hot..is this normal

They can be fixed with any LP12 PSU, Valhalla, herc, heed, lingo (a bit of an overkill)

well yes, but then its not a linn axis is it. you've then 'fixed it' by hot-rodding it.

I remember an enthusiastic young chap from Canada discussing the merits of adding a geddon to his planar 3 with the late JV on the naim board, many years ago. JV's comment was along the lines of 'guild a turd'.

I don't see a big reason to go for new PSU as long as the old one is working (I'm building a power supply cable with switch for it tomorrow, so I don't have to unplug/plug it to the wall socket constantly.)

However, Mose/Hercules is quite interesting "hot-rodding" option, and I don't think its going overboard. At least when the cost is concerned. Axis' construction is very good, and while LP12 might beat it in all areas, I simply don't see (at the moment) why would anyone want to upgrade the platform that fast. The table (bearing construction, plinth, platter) is high in Linn's upgrade hierarchy, but I struggle to find something fundamentally wrong with Axis. Maybe I'm just that modest :)

Howsabout fitting LP12 bearing and sub platter?
Many non-cirkus ones about and they are better than the Axis'.

Another cartridge option - I have had an axis since 92 and it's currently running a Reson Reca which is very good and made the K18II I had before sound like a nail - it's Goldring 1000 series based
In addition I've also got a LV Mystic mat and Something sold little links instead of the feet. Both were worthwhile upgrades.

I'm thinking of getting the bearing polished to optical quality to improve it as well.

advertisement

Back