advertisement

Getting most out of my Linn Axis?

Hepokatti

pfm Member
I know there are people who don't consider this deck good, but I used my ears with this one. I was supposed to buy a new 2k€ deck, but couldn't resist trying this one out for 300€, and it's almost immaculate. Just minor scratching in dustcover and headshell. Lovely!

Now, I think this deck has potential. I want to unleash it fully! Axis measures excellent, has dead silent motor and just sounds 'correct'. Seems like as a spinner, this deck is just as good as any.

I'd like to know what cartridge/arm combination would be optimal here? I now have AT95E mounted on a Basik+ tonearm, and I tried the LPGear's AT95SA needle. While shibata was excellent, I think it recessed the AT95s midrange and made everything less fun to listen to, so I quickly sold it after few weeks of listening. Maybe many don't agree with me, but I like the original better.

axisat95sa.jpg

One improvement that comes to mind would be less dusty records :D Anything else?

I had an Axis in very good condition before I sold it to try an unmodded pre-cirkus LP12. Totally agree - the Axis is very good indeed and very under-rated IMO. I upgraded the arm from aBasik Plus to an Akito Mk1 and found quite an improvement. Originally used a K18 cart and sounded great with it but upgraded to a Goldring 1022GX which was much better.
To be honest, I did not find the LP12 to be much better than my Axis with the Akito-Goldring combination.
Make sure you give it a basic servicing with some new oil and a new belt.
The Axis definitely deserves a better arm and cart.

Working akito arm and a linn adikt cartridge.

I once had a stuck akito, it felt very notchy and It wouldn't manage one whole swing on a swing test although the arm had had very little use and looked like new. With nothing to loose I squirted a bit of silicon spray (not wd40) down the pivots and it came back to life, swang smoothly across surface when balanced and anti skate slowly applied and I could get 35 plus swings on a swing test even months after this and sounded very good indeed.

I agree with Banjoman, get a Mk1 Akito at a sensible price on ebay (remember it cost £150 when new, you shouldn't be paying any more than that) and a decent MM cartridge or low end MC (I had an ATOC5 in my Akito). Other than that, the usual things, make sure it is on a light, level table, the belt is fresh and the right way round and the felt mat is clean and the right way up.

Yes I did the same and stuck on an Akito mk1 with a Goldring 1020 and after this I had a LP12 with an Akito mk1 plus for a while the Goldring 1020.
I didn't think there was much difference as stated above. Now when I put on the LP12 a Rega RB1000 that to me was an audible step up.
Good turntable imho is the Axis.

Hmm. Thanks for your ideas. I had an opportunity to snatch a MK1 Akito, but was suspicious as the screws were over-tightened at some point, and the baseplate showed a visual sign of this.

I've also heard a lot about MK1 Akito problems. Adikt is a no-brainer probably, albeit a bit on the expensive side. Felt mat right way up? :D Which one is the right way?

the Axis was a pretty good tt in its time, though rather expensive. think of it as a planar three with a more Linn sound. fairly sophisticated, though well-short of an LP12 in good tune.

key risk with an Axis these days is they're nearly impossible to repair the PSU. Linn no longer have any info, nor certainly any interest. I know of a tech down here who worked out the circuit *and* built a jig to allow all the cool feedback stuff to work when repairing and adjusting the PSU.

Dunno if there's anyone in the UK that can keep one running. At over 20 years old, you'd expect some of the PSU to be well out of spec now.

OTOH cheap entry into a little of that Linn magic.

I bought an Axis with Akito mk1 in the late 80's before I jumped on the LP12 train. It played a lovely tune giving me years of listening pleasure. Latterly installed a Goldring 1020 and it sounded sweet. There's not much of an upgrade path but I concur with others that Akito and Goldring are the way to go.

Beware Akito bearings. Mk1's were built in Japan from memory and better/more reliable Mk 2's in Scotland. In any event, well worth while speaking with Audio Origami about what to look out for with Akito arms and when you find a good one send it to Johnnie for a service/rewire as it's likely to need one if it hasn't been serviced recently.

As others have said, and your ears have told, the Axis is a good deck, and under rated in my opinion. Back in the day I had a K18 on Akito on mine. Assuming you have it well isolated to get the best from everything what about fitting first an Adikt or going the whole hog and change arm to either the current Linn/ project 9cc. Or the Jelco 750d. I have the latter on my no.2 LP 12 and really is excellent value.

If the power supply is working and strobe test stable, then just don't worry about it, it could last years yet.

Wish I still had my Axis :(

I also had an Axis and thought I was the luckiest man alive as I got it for £80 with a good mk1 Akito arm. I don't like AT cartridges at the best of times but least of all on a Linn table. I had a P77 on mine for a while that was good if a little too warm for my tastes and then a denon DL-110 which sounded bloody good.

If you get a good akito splash out and get it a Denon DL-103, go on it deserves it :)

In your opinion guys, what LP12 exactly does (other than bounce) what Axis doesn't? I've never heard an LP12 in any form. They're not very common in Finland, albeit we do have few dealers.

I haven't worried about the PSU that much. I have no problem changing electrolytic capacitors, if that's what often fails with the PSU. It's actually a small task, unless there are some hidden dangers with this particular board, but it doesn't look too complex. Also, if LP12 PSUs really fit there, then that is even better news!

Just fitting an Adikt seems like a nice suggestion, nitrous. I might just do that when I've made up my mind (and the funds allow :D). From what I've read, the Adikt doesn't seem to have any obvious shortcomings. As it is a bit pricey for a MM cart, the thing I'm concerned is whether Goldring gives similar performance with less dough.

Anyone knows if this is an improvement over a Basik+?
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/710-5...0001&campid=5338728743&icep_item=181107699576

It's certainly on the cheap side when it comes to brand new arms fit for this deck. Just never tried one.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Goldring used to make the carts for Linn so will be a good match, think they still retip for them as well.

The Ittock works well on the Axis - have tried it. Axis top plate has arm rest hole partially drilled already.

Power supplies too are easy fix usually capacitors and large resistor near bridge rectifier.
Circuit board is energised when ever unit is plugged in, hence components tend to cook with age!

Hepokatti, Adikt is a bit pricey but probably worth it in the long run. I can't comment on the Goldrings I'm afraid.

To answer your other point I went from Axis/Akito/k18 to LP 12/Valhalla with Akito/k18 transferred off the Axis. Whilst it was an upgrade in many areas, I did miss some of the precision of the Axis. It wasn't until I fitted an Ekos & lingo to the same Lp12 that I felt I had completely surpasses the Axis in all areas. And that represents quite a cost. And I had an Ittok inbetween and was never won over by that.

I have tried the 250 on an LP 12 and would say it is about the same as the LVX, The 750 would be better for about another £100.

But don't go too far, the deck is fine (with new cart) as it is, and at the end of the day the money would be better going on an Lp 12;)

One improvement that comes to mind would be less dusty records Anything else?

Yes, an LP12....

My first LP12 was a really early S/h one with an SME3009 arm on it, basic psu. I bought a nearly new Axis/Basik plus thinking it would be an upgrade but even the old LP12 with the 3009 sounded so obviously better that I sold both and bought a new LP12 /Valhalla/ Basik plus arm

We often used to get powercuts at one time when I had an axis. When the power came back on it would always be spinning.

Somehow my spindle got slightly bent when I moved house in late 90's, I had no box but did pack the platters separately but when I reassembled it it always had a slight wobble. I had an lp12 at that point and threw the axis away, swapped the clear lid onto my lp12 to replace the smoked one and struggled to sell the unmarked basik plus arm for £20! At the same time I paid £100 for a mint 1986 Afro lp12 Valhalla with basik+ and k18, and a planer3/rb300/AR77 for a tenner. Couldn't give away turntables in the late 90's!

We often used to get powercuts at one time when I had an axis. When the power came back on it would always be spinning.

Yes. It had a design fault in that power cycling could make it start spontaneously. If it then kept running all of the day it would slowly cook itself. And potentially more than itself.

I always disconnected mine from the mains when not actually playing a record. The OP better do the same.

But don't go too far, the deck is fine (with new cart) as it is, and at the end of the day the money would be better going on an Lp 12;)

I see. :) Adikt it is then.. maybe as a xmas present for myself.

I always disconnected mine from the mains when not actually playing a record. The OP better do the same.

Doing that. Trying to find a single power chord extender with a switch on it, so I wouldn't have to pull the plug constantly.

advertisement

Back