advertisement

Getting into headphones - Focal Elegia

jay

built for speed
I bought my first decent pair of headphones recently, Focal Elegia.

They're quite sensitive and very easy to run (35ohm). I think I'm getting a very slight hiss when pairing them with a Topping DX3 Pro. I believe this might be because the headphone output impedance is 10ohm. I've read of a similar issue with a very sensitive pair of headphones and an iFi set-up.

Do you think something like a iFi IEMatch will help? Has anyone used one before?

Thanks
J

HI Jay

If you are getting a little noise when using the Focals with the Topping DX3 make sure you are using the Topping with the headphone amp set to the Lowest gain setting. Check the manual, you have two gain settings 0dB and 9dB, set it to 0dB for the lowest possible noise floor. The focals are sensitive but they are not overly sensitive so you should be able drive them with normal hardware as they don’t require exotic equipment to perform well. The Topping already measures and performs very well, it should be a good match with the focal when used in the low gain setting.

Also, don’t confuse the quoted headphone amplifier output impedance of “<10 ohm”, this is the minimum load the amplifier will operate into. In reality the actual output impedance of the headphone amplifier will be a good deal less and will be quite happy driving the 35 Ohm load provided by the focals.

LPSpinner.

That's a great reply. Many thanks LPSpinner.

I've had the Topping in the low gain setting. It may be that I'm just getting used to how a decent headphone system sounds. The focals appear to have burnt themselves in or I've adjusted to them over the last couple of weeks. Happily for the better!

advertisement

Back