advertisement

Getting back into hifi and questions about buying my first turntable- ? digital

bec143

pfm Member
All- former frequent poster but been out of the audio loop for a while, mostly because I started listening 95% in the kitchen with Sonos/Tidal/Spotify.
But- I have been digging through record stores lately to get classic vinyl for my son, and found myself enjoying this quite a bit. So I will get a turntable and maybe start changing out some old (but still good) things.

My question is: what is a good sounding starter turntable that I don't have to mess with too much, and should it have a digital out option?

System is: Naim CD5/chrome Hicap as well as a slew of 10-15 year old DAC of the moments; YBA Passion amp (150W, at the time their best integrated); original Audio Physic Virgos; Quadraspire Q4. I don't know if a can get an add-on additional shelf for the old rack!

I have a plug n play Cambridge Alva ST with a good internal phono stage and an ATVM95ML.Very impressively built and sounding great for its price. There’s also a nice Roksan for a similar price. The CA has Bluetooth incorporated if that’s your thing.

All- former frequent poster but been out of the audio loop for a while, mostly because I started listening 95% in the kitchen with Sonos/Tidal/Spotify.
But- I have been digging through record stores lately to get classic vinyl for my son, and found myself enjoying this quite a bit. So I will get a turntable and maybe start changing out some old (but still good) things.

My question is: what is a good sounding starter turntable that I don't have to mess with too much, and should it have a digital out option?

System is: Naim CD5/chrome Hicap as well as a slew of 10-15 year old DAC of the moments; YBA Passion amp (150W, at the time their best integrated); original Audio Physic Virgos; Quadraspire Q4. I don't know if a can get an add-on additional shelf for the old rack!
TT Budget? YBA amp have a phono stage?

You’ll get a Q4 shelf on eBay, WTD Ad on here, seen them now and again on dealer used/exdem pages or ping Quadraspire - they were helpful when I needed a few non std bits.

Rega do a Green ECO P1 deck for £199 including a Carbon MM cart (rebadged AT), does the job and is dead simple to get going. Still a few around, just bought one from an Edinburgh dealer. Have a look at Richersounds, 7Oaks and Peter Tyson websites for TT offers.

TT Budget? YBA amp have a phono stage?

You’ll get a Q4 shelf on eBay, WTD Ad on here, seen them now and again on dealer used/exdem pages or ping Quadraspire - they were helpful when I needed a few non std bits.

Rega do a Green ECO P1 deck for £199 including a Carbon MM cart (rebadged AT), does the job and is dead simple to get going. Still a few around, just bought one from an Edinburgh dealer. Have a look at Richersounds, 7Oaks and Peter Tyson websites for TT offers.

Thanks.
1. no phono stage in amp so need that
2. under $2-3K if possible for TT, cart, stage.
Any thoughts about MM v MC if I am starting from scratch? How about digital out

I was looking at this one with a bit in phono and some good reviews but I can spend more if needed:

Technics SL-1500C Direct Drive Turntable

Huge amount to choose from, I’d head along to a hifi shop, you’re USA based so dunno what’s available brands wise? Have a chat and see what they suggest.

You could get everything from the Rega range, TT/Cart/Stage, which is good for synergy/piece of mind or mix/match. I’d be looking at one of the new Technics decks, there are a couple with stages built in and add an AT or Ortofon cart (often they are bundled in as a deal).

Rega P3 with Exact and Fono MM stage. They did a 50th Anni but likely sold out.

Techy 1500C - deserves a better cart than the red, I’d ask to get upgraded to a Bronze or better

@bec143

Since you are in Seattle, I would just head in to Hawthorne Stereo and talk to them. They have Rega, Technics, Cambridge, etc so pretty much something at every level you might consider.

(and was your username becseattle in the past? When tagging you, that popped up.)

For new tables I recommend Technics SL-1500 or SL-1200 GR, also the Dual models in your budget, they have belt and direct drive in their line up. Both of these brands are classic and they built tables that will outlast a middleaged guy like me.

For used tables the sky is the limit and you can have similar quality for less depending on your personal taste. Direct drive, belt drive, idler drive are the three most common types of TT's you can find used, tables from the 70's and up. Some are manual, others are semi auto or full automatic.

I'm not a fan of the basic Rega/Pro-ject tables and wouldn't recommend them but judging from their popularity they have their fans.

I would decide about cartridge after buying a table, different arms support different cartridges. If your table doesn't come with one you have many options.

I would buy a used phono stage, one that can support both MM & MC cartridges and gives you several options. I don't like the basic ones with the MM/MC switch on the back with no other option. Again, too many to choose in the used market.

Do you need a digital out? I don't so never bothered to check tables with it. Usually low cost tables have it or maybe I'm wrong.

Personally, I wouldn't get a TT with a built in phono stage - get an external one which will give you flexibility, from $150. I wouldn't want a digital out on a turntable either. Save your money and get a straightforward TT without a phono stage or a digital out.

For your budget you will be able to get something pretty special (I'd be looking at Technics or Rega). I don't like Ortofon so likely an AT cart (540ml, 740ml, not heard a RigB stylus but they are raved over so I'd be tempted by that). For the external phono stage Rega phono stages would be where I'd start ($250 for Fono) or throw some money around and get something better. If I were just starting on vinyl I'd probably not spend all my budget. You can always trade up later. And if there's a good used market it will offer you better value than new.

MM is easier than MC so I would start with that, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.

Personally, I wouldn't get a TT with a built in phono stage - get an external one which will give you flexibility, from $150. I wouldn't want a digital out on a turntable either. Save your money and get a straightforward TT without a phono stage or a digital out.

For your budget you will be able to get something pretty special (I'd be looking at Technics or Rega). I don't like Ortofon so likely an AT cart (540ml, 740ml, not heard a RigB stylus but they are raved over so I'd be tempted by that). For the external phono stage Rega phono stages would be where I'd start ($250 for Fono) or throw some money around and get something better. If I were just starting on vinyl I'd probably not spend all my budget. You can always trade up later. And if there's a good used market it will offer you better value than new.

MM is easier than MC so I would start with that, don't make it more complicated than it needs to be.
Really helpful- thanks!

@bec143

Since you are in Seattle, I would just head in to Hawthorne Stereo and talk to them. They have Rega, Technics, Cambridge, etc so pretty much something at every level you might consider.

(and was your username becseattle in the past? When tagging you, that popped up.)
HI Chris- I was Becseattle- don't why why I got this even older name when I had to recover credentials. Are you 552/500/DBL Chris? If so, I came to your place once- remember a memorable Dvorak disc! I will go see Dom and Robert (if they are still at Hawthorne). I saw them a bunch in my Naim and Hifi days.

wow- I just read that Bob passed away a few years ago.. After 50 years running the shop.

Are you 552/500/DBL Chris?
I wish! I’m on the other side of the country. Just know Hawthorne virtually.

I will go see Dom and Robert (if they are still at Hawthorne). I saw them a bunch in my Naim and Hifi days.
Unfortunately, Robert passed away in 2021. They have a page called “Dominic’s Delicacies”, so I assume he is there.

Maybe Tony or one of the mods could help if you want to recover your old user name?

FWIW, in your position, I would do a Rega P3 for $1400 (or the demo 50th Anniversary for $1500) along with the Phono MM for $445. The Anniversary come with the Neo PS, so with the phono stage, there’s two more half width boxes. Either way, all meant to work together, and you basically only need to set it on something and set the tracking force.

But the technics is even easier if you start with the built in stage. I don’t know what carts they sell that would be a good upgrade from the Red as they don’t sell ortofon.

advertisement

Back